• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Good morning members, could be another fun day here on the site. The guests need to sign up and join our discussion. Remember, things will start to get really active around here if the models continue to show the potential major winter storm. And, the guests viewing will be turned off.

I like the 06z GFS, the high placement is right on. There would be more snow with that setup...still some CAD but nothing like the 0z GFS had CAD wise.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

This is from meg. Doesn't sound too good
Tuesday will be cooler and dry...with another reinforcing cold
front ushering in much colder air Wednesday. Some guidance still
includes a chance of wintry precipitation during the later half of
the work week...but both the GFS and the ECMWF are trending drier.
Will continue to lean toward the drier and more climatologically
favored solutions.

NorthGAWinterWx link said:
Good morning members, could be another fun day here on the site. The guests need to sign up and join our discussion. Remember, things will start to get really active around here if the models continue to show the potential major winter storm. And, the guests viewing will be turned off.

I like the 06z GFS, the high placement is right on. There would be more snow with that setup...still some CAD but nothing like the 0z GFS had CAD wise.

Models aren't continuing to show any major winter storm. Actually, they are trending away from the idea, and gaining consensus with each other. Could they all be wrong, sure, but right now, it is suppress city (may be a good spot to be in right now).

For what it is worth, my TWC app went from rain to mostly cloudy to rain/snow mix to snow.

Strong storm signal on the models for next weekend. Hope it continues and it is just a matter of figuring how much we will get.

DadOfJax link said:
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=80.msg5391#msg5391 date=1483194107]

Models aren't continuing to show any major winter storm. Actually, they are trending away from the idea, and gaining consensus with each other. Could they all be wrong, sure, but right now, it is suppress city (may be a good spot to be in right now).
[/quote]

yes, this is actually what the SE board needs ATM (what is your location? every member needs to complete their location information)

DadOfJax link said:

[/quote]
I'm not worried about that suppression this early in time. We've seen enough consistent runs that there will be winter wx across the south in some shape or form...it may not turn out to be a major event but the whole idea of a winter threat is there.

drfranklin link said:
[quote author=DadOfJax link=topic=80.msg5394#msg5394 date=1483194681]

[/quote]

yes, this is actually what the SE board needs ATM (what is your location? every member needs to complete their location information)
[/quote]
I have my location, I'm 30-35 miles NE of ATL.

Stormlover link said:
DGEX has two feet for here
eta.totsnow192.gif

I don't always follow weather models, but when I do, it's the DGEX...Stay thirsty my friends

Snowbaby84 link said:
For what it is worth, my TWC app went from rain to mostly cloudy to rain/snow mix to snow.
App forecasts are useless this far out, just know that. Most of them are automatically generated either with GFS/RPM in house modeling or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowbaby84 link said:

Same here, but I've lost all faith in the #crapapps.  I think the stock weather app on the iPhone is integrated with TWC.

I will say before people freak out on the suppression, that it was almost a given we were going to see extreme model runs. The next 2 or 3 days things will begin to sort itself out. I would be surprised if the system was a suppressed and as dry as advertised at the moment. I expect models to trend back more NW with more moisture on future runs. How far northwest and how much moisture that is the question. Of course we could get squashed by the northern stream but I would bet against that at this time. :snowflake:

As always here in the southeast, we have to thread the needle again

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

NWMSGuy link said:
[quote author=Matthew70 link=topic=80.msg5402#msg5402 date=1483196091]
Wondering when does the Para run again?

It looks to be running behind...I guess.
[/quote]
It sometimes skips runs randomly and it's a known thing with the para. It will either run at 12z (a little later than the regular GFS), if not it will hopefully run tonight - but the 00z from last night wont be posted as it was never ran, if that makes sense.

Flurry link said:
[quote author=Stormlover link=topic=80.msg5383#msg5383 date=1483190898]
DGEX has two feet for here
eta.totsnow192.gif

I don't always follow weather models, but when I do, it's the DGEX...Stay thirsty my friends
[/quote] 24-30" in Chatt. Almost 15" here. If only.

ATLWxFan link said:
Suppression is our friend. Doesn't that also quash the SER?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it does squash the SER.

Back