• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

sigwx link said:
[quote author=ARCC link=topic=80.msg7662#msg7662 date=1483398194]
Haha its been a long time since I've been dead center of a weenie run. Too bad its still four days out.
Hey ARCC, how far are you from Rockford?
[/quote]

Twenty minutes or so north.

ARCC link said:
[quote author=sigwx link=topic=80.msg7664#msg7664 date=1483398297]
[quote author=ARCC link=topic=80.msg7662#msg7662 date=1483398194]
Haha its been a long time since I've been dead center of a weenie run. Too bad its still four days out.
Hey ARCC, how far are you from Rockford?
[/quote]

Twenty minutes or so north.
[/quote]Okay your closer to Goodwater, l am about 35 miles west/southwest. How much snow in the sweet spot for you?

JLL1973 link said:
[quote author=ghost1 link=topic=80.msg7655#msg7655 date=1483397508]
[quote author=JLL1973 link=topic=80.msg7609#msg7609 date=1483395929]
i got the shaft on that run
Me too bud... what's the deal on NE MS and NW AL?  Dry nose?
[/quote]
i really wouldnt worry right now. these systems usually trend northwest. we still in a good spot
[/quote]
That run took the system further south into the Gulf before turning the corner and going up the coast. I think you guys are still in a good spot. The chances of this trending a lot further NW isn't that big with this system.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

GEFS mean just a tad higher for central NC on the 18z.
snod.conus.png

Webberweather53 link said:
[quote author=tellicowx link=topic=80.msg7648#msg7648 date=1483397274]
Webber, when will this system enter the ROAB?

The northern stream wave will be entering the north america upper air network at 6-12z tomorrow, and the data should be ingested into the models by 0z Tue Night/Wed
[/quote]
I think if there is going to be a big change in the models that's when it's going to happen.

tellicowx link said:
wonder if FFC is waiting on the GEFS?

Do you think their talking to other officers such as BMX because they have not issue their AFD as of yet.

tellicowx link said:

Not sure, but this is one of the latest times I can remember them putting it out. I bet they're definitely shaking their heads as to which model to believe at this stage.

Webberweather53 link said:
[quote author=bhs1975 link=topic=80.msg7503#msg7503 date=1483393738]
Is more interaction with the NS good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need more stream separation for the disturbance in the Pacific northwest to cut-off, amplify and slow down as it enters the Great basin and southwestern US

mydoortotheworld link said:
still learning, i'm looking at the vorticity map... what exactly is the "northern stream?"

The northern stream is essentially the polar jet stream, while the southern stream is also known as the subtropical jet stream. Split flow over the Pacific with 2 defined streams (as we currently have) is often a necessary ingredient for overrunning/southern sliders in the southeastern US, mid-south, and southern plains. Split flow in the northeastern Pacific typically occurs when we observe a large-scale ridge in the vicinity of Alaska (-EPO), which usually retrogrades westward with time and moves towards the Bering Sea & far eastern Siberia (-WPO). Essentially, w/o going into much of the physical details why this occurs, -WPOs often lag -EPOs... Here's a nice animation of the NCEP Reanalysis top 20 -EPO days in January rolled forward a week and another animation showing the z500 in the week leading up to the top 20 -WPO days in January. Notice how the Alaskan ridge retrogrades westward into Bering Sea/Eastern Siberia, while the southeastern US ridge becomes increasingly amplified with time. This pattern evolution is virtually what we're gonna see later this week and into the following week, hence we can probably expect milder wx to (@ least try to) return by the middle portions of the month..
[/quote]

thank you so much for explaining this for me. clears up a lot!

sigwx link said:
[quote author=tellicowx link=topic=80.msg7678#msg7678 date=1483398742]

Do you think their talking to other officers such as BMX because they have not issue their AFD as of yet.
[/quote]
I would say so...a lot of coordination going on trying to interrupt everything.

GEFs looks like it's following the OP with the further south solution so far

Snowfan link said:
WHEN WILL FFC ISSUE THEIR LATEST AFD?!
Edit: The suspense is killing me.
They're working on severe and are short one forecaster to the flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back