• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

Surprised by how tightly wound the system is. Sorry, but I just don't see a low that far north in the gulf not throw more precip inland, especially one that's relatively strong.
If it happens, I saw the snow would be in Birmingham to Atlanta and a wintry mix( snow and sleet) central GA and AL. My guess...carry on!

Weather from times of old.... they had no computer models.. yes.. some of this stuff you hear is nutty... but I know and have observed this to be true.. tons of black birds on the ground... thunder then 10 days later.... extreme cold, snow, ice , or any of the mentioned... I have legitimacy on this... passed down by my family.. my great great grandfather was the sheriff of Cherokee county North Carolina... he married a Cherokee Indian... they only knew things of weather by observing nature.
Paging JB..... we got thunder last night, what does that mean again? Lol
Paging JB..... we got thunder last night, what does that mean again? Lol

Surprised by how tightly wound the system is. Sorry, but I just don't see a low that far north in the gulf not throw more precip inland, especially one that's relatively strong.

As modeled, the trough orientation doesn't allow for a great return flow out of the GOM, thus the canopy of precip is limited until it taps the Atlantic. At least that's how I see it. That's why I say this one will favor eastern areas; assuming of course that the models are in the general ball park as of now.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. Unless there is some proof a storm like that would fling moisture inland, then I doubt it'll work. The tilt needs to be negative in Georgia I think for a good moisture feed. Without such, the storm will only dump on NC and SC and skip GA. We need an earlier tilt or this won't be a N GA storm at all. Someone do correct me if I'm off.

Didnt it blank Atlanta?

We need to worry about the details of the storm later, but for me to clarify on what I said earlier, if the low is going to be that strong, I don't think any of us want the NW trend. If it starts anytime soon, it's going to be a massive apps runner (which would be fine for the western part of the SE).

Edit: What will probably be needed in about 5 days is for the models to show the storm tilting a touch sooner but it's too soon to worry about stuff like that. Storm signal is good but cold air might be a worry.

It seems like some are just looking for details. It is too far out still to be looking for details of the storm. Things will still change. I'm thankful the Euro still has the storm. In the mean time, I'm going to be on standby for the EPS.

Oh I know I was just responding to the dude from Atlanta that said best run in 5 years when it showed no snow in Atlanta

We need to worry about the details of the storm later, but for me to clarify on what I said earlier, if the low is going to be that strong, I don't think any of us want the NW trend. If it starts anytime soon, it's going to be a massive apps runner (which would be fine for the western part of the SE).

Edit: What will probably be needed in about 5 days is for the models to show the storm tilting a touch sooner but it's too soon to worry about stuff like that. Storm signal is good but cold air might be a worry.
I ain't worry about Cold air either...it will be there trust me!

Back