• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

icon very similar to the cmc and nam and euro.
icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_28.png

slow and steady wins the race - that moisture is coming north

View attachment 107772
I want to believe but it seems to me ensemble support is waning for our general area. Typically I would look at this and be licking my chops at this stage of modeling. However things appear to be trending more towards our east at this time. Carolina’s gonna get smashed again it appears. If Nooga somehow escapes this whole pattern unscathed I’ll be disappointed, but not surprised lol

Yep NW Trend is evident, just how far NW it goes is still a guess. There gonna be a lot more people in the game for snow time this one is done. Even NE Ga gonna see some snow

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
It's a precarious dance. I definitely want to see the QPF come about 100 miles further west to get the upstate and N GA in on this one, but I don't want it to to skip areas further south who are due at the same time. A blend of last nights Euro and UKMET would be good for a lot folks.

GA 400 warm nose, anyone? Worth noting that there's still a snow sounding here @ 33.74, -84.31View attachment 107771
This is a warm "tongue" "finger", whatever you want to call it at the surface, it's not the warm nose that often gets discussed (that is in the mid levels) just don't want to confuse anyone, especially the newest of members still trying to learn.

Since I just moved to live on the beach near Morehead City, NC (Emerald Isle to be specific), I'm not used to following weather directly on the coast. How does the ocean affect precip types in a more micro environment? If you're, say, 15 miles inland, does that give you better chance to see frozen precip vs living on the beach? What's the thoughts on getting frozen precip directly on the coast in SE NC? Thanks for any input!

This is a warm "tongue" "finger", whatever you want to call it at the surface, it's not the warm nose that often gets discussed (that is in the mid levels) just don't want to confuse anyone, especially the newest of members still trying to learn.
The NAM had a pretty stout warm layer around 850mb at the 84 hour time stamp, at least in my area.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-18 102551.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-18 102551.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 36
It's a precarious dance. I definitely want to see the QPF come about 100 miles further west to get the upstate and N GA in on this one, but I don't want it to to skip areas further south who are due at the same time. A blend of last nights Euro and UKMET would be good for a lot folks.
Last night's UKMet was Nirvana....cleared the front thru, then slight delay, then phases the waves well to the SE. Cold and snowy

e14WSWi.gif

If I was along a line from Columbia all the way to Myrtle Beach, I'd be prepping for a hellacious ice storm and pray that sleet or plain rain saves the day.
I have to be driving into Jacksonville from home in LA, arriving Friday. If current trends keep up, I may have to cut to the coast at Myrtle Beach and hug the coast all the way to Jacksonville. I guess it would be best to drive up as far as I can on Thursday, in case things deteriorate badly.

Even so, the 850 line is much further south from a stronger cold push.
That run would be good for singificant snow for the Midlands of SC and the CSRA area. Also a nice sleet event for areas futher south as well. We all need to hope for a stronger cold push with 850s crashing like Rgem model is showing. Maybe a damanging ice storm could be avoided for most areas with that sort of look.

Back