• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

If the more amped euro wins out and with the press of very cold air, there could be some impressive sleet totals. From everything I've read the most sleet to fall from one storm was 8". That was right here in the Triangle. Now I'm sure there has been higher totals somewhere else but I haven't found them to date. Maybe Larry would know.
aaaa1.jpg

prbww_sn25_DAY4.gif

If the more amped euro wins out and with the press of very cold air, there could be some impressive sleet totals. From everything I've read the most sleet to fall from one storm was 8". That was right here in the Triangle. Now I'm sure there has been higher totals somewhere else but I haven't found them to date. Maybe Larry would know.
View attachment 107719
This is exactly the storm I was thinking of last night when I was looking at the soundings and seeing some areas with 1.5-2” of QPF falling as sleet.

Crazy that the mountains could get 2 feet + total within a week if you count last storm. Who is booking the Southernwx cabin?
Some of them werent to far from getting it out of one. saw a Avery County spotter with 20 and it was still spitting into last night.

Any noticeable biases in your model? 50-75 miles swath of possible freezing rain through central Alabama.
We've squashed all of the synoptic biases we've found. Honestly, it's biggest issues are with severe systems. I run a 2km to 3km hires version for severe systems and it has some issues with storm initiation, storm interaction, etc. With synoptic features and larger scale events, including winter storms, it has been lights out, really.

That reflectivity looks like ATL is gonna get hammered if its cold enough
I think the precip is too light that far north.. remember this is composite reflectivity. When I get a chance, i'll switch it over to 3hr QPF instead of reflectivity. Definitely major ZR accums for east central ga thru the carolinas. I'll send the ptype totals when the system makes it's way thru

Back