• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

oh and I’m not calling for a dusting in Charlotte by the way I think it would be less than that.i was just looking at 0z output and it def doesn’t change anything from me
Well you nailed the last storm so you’ll probably be right again ?

It’s still possible sure man I just putting my own take on what zones are in the greatest impact area. I know it’s too far out to determine the cutoff line I just want readers to know not everyone is gonna score with this one and I’m leaning to most (Greensboro Charlotte and points west) not getting much or any qpf.

It’s still possible sure man I just putting my own take on what zones are in the greatest impact area. I know it’s too far out to determine the cutoff line I just want readers to know not everyone is gonna score with this one and I’m leaning to most (Greensboro Charlotte and points west) not getting much or any qpf.
Just sit back and watch the NW Trend. It happens almost always with these southern systems like this.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Just sit back and watch the NW Trend. It happens almost always with these southern systems like this.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
Totally different system man not all are the same. Far from our last system. This one is not coming from the Dakotas or transferring. It’s ejecting ENE and will spill qpf in a more conservative fashion with how the precip shield evolves you can see it clearly on the 0z guidance.

Totally different system man not all are the same. Far from our last system. This one is not coming from the Dakotas or transferring. It’s ejecting ENE and will spill qpf in a more conservative fashion with how the precip shield evolves you can see it clearly on the 0z guidance.
As we’ve seen this year, everything has became amped
Things are prone to being more NW from the ridging nosing in off the coast
The energy is trending back to a partial phase on modeling
Way more support for this to be a bit west, then stay ots or be further east, I mean the nam already starts our winter storm in 75 hours. I could be wrong tho

Last edited:
sfct.us_se.png

925th.us_se.png

850th.us_se.png

qpf_012h.us_se.png

Unfortunately, just about all of the 0.75-1.00” wintry qpf SAV-CHS and nearby areas is ZR. This is based on 850’s mainly +5 to +6 hours 90-114 and 925’s just above freezing. So, what looks like a beautiful heavy snowfall on the clown is really devastating ice. 2M temps plunge to the low 30s and then upper 20s due to a very strong wedge along with very windy conditions meaning windchills near 20. In this area, that would be the worst ZR since 1922. I wouldn’t want any part of this. Hopefully UK is off of its rocker though there have been certain runs of various models with something similar over the last few days, which is unnerving. Fortunately, it is an outlier and NW shifts meaning warmer are common.

@Stormsfury fyi

Last edited:
Unfortunately, just about all of the 0.75-1.00” wintry qpf SAV-CHS and nearby areas is ZR. This is based on 850’s mainly +5 to +6 hours 90-114 and 925’s just above freezing. So, what looks like a beautiful heavy snowfall on the clown is really devastating ice. 2M temps plunge to the low 30s and then upper 20s due to a very strong wedge along with very windy conditions. In this area, that would be the worst ZR since 1922. I wouldn’t want any part of this. Hopefully UK is off of its rocker though there have been certain runs of various models with something similar over the last few days, which is unnerving. Fortunately, it is an outlier and NW shifts meaning warner are common.

@Stormsfury fyi
NW Trend doesn’t necessarily have to mean warmer if the phase occurs earlier, like ukmet shows

Back