• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

I think, just as important as what yall are saying, maybe more? If we don't get the front down far enough on the initial wave and push down the high and into CAD, then forget snow (outside of mtns) and get ready for rain or ice.
Totally agree with ya Chris. I'm not sure which system to root for here. One bombogenisis like euro or 2 waves like gfs. Higher potential with one system but that brings in more warm air. The upstate was lucky with the last one and fought it off but too many times that doesn't happen. You'd have to think by tomorrow the gfs or gefs would agree with euro/eps unless the gfs is about to bring up its awful 4/5 day score.

Would someone please post the individual member wintry precip (not just snow) maps of the 12Z GEFS for wave #2, specifically? That would be mainly covered by hours 126-150 (24 hours ending at 150). I have not seen that posted as I saw only maps only near hour 108 (first wave) from the 12Z GEFS. The 2nd wave on the 12Z GEFS has a bunch of well offshore surface low tracks:

7DC2E0DD-79A4-464A-99CF-FBE047D8824B.png

Last edited:
Morehead city AFD

A p-type forecasting nightmare scenario may be taking shape, as
the sfc front hangs up just off the coast, oriented WSW to ENE
while significant CAD develops, esp interior, and has the
earmarks of icing or sleet. As this system is still several days
away, will only mention RA/SN in the forecast at this time, but
some areas could see significant icing, as is advertised by
latest CMC/ECM solns
. Along the immediate coast (Crystal Coast
through the OBX), sided with climo and kept p-type rain, but
even here a threat for wintry weather may come into play. Temps
will be below climo with hts/thicknesses quite low.

Back