• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Oh yeah I know it's different setup I'm just talking in lines of where the snow vs Ice, where 850 line is ect...

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

What? The surface temperatures are much colder.. the high is much stronger... my local office is putting the progged high in the 97th percentile..... strength wise.

This looking like a carbon copy of the storm that just passed.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
If the storm went negatively tilt sooner than what the Euro showed,this could've easily have been another Miller A/B hybrid. At the rate we are going with Euro,the Midlands of SC and Eastern NC will be begging for a last minute NW trend,since it appears we might be too warm at 850 to snow or even sleet,but cold enough for a heavy Ice storm. Heavy freezing rain with temperatures in the upper 20s isn't fun. So much for a good overrunning event that had the cold front stalled in Central Florida with a very weak low pressure system riding along it.

Last edited:
I don't know if some of you remember but I was hugging me some GFS with this past storm. It consistently laid down pretty blue colors all over my backyard (I ended up with 1 inch of backend stuff). Invariably, the NAM actually did better and the EURO as well. Once I realized Birdman was honking the GFS, I knew hugging the GFS was folly. This is the type of setup that can do really well in N and C GA as well as back into AL. Curious to see if the midnight run holds serve.

Already temp issues; no thanks.

If the storm went negatively tilt sooner than what the Euro showed,this could've easily have been another Miller A/B hybrid. At the rate we are going with Euro,the Midlands of SC and Eastern NC will be begging for a last minute NW trend,since it appears we might too warm at 850 to snow or even sleet,but cold enough for a heavy Ice storm. Freezing rain with temperures in the upper 20s isn't fun So much for good overruning event that had the cold front stalled in Central Flordia with a very weak low pressure system riding along it.

I still agree with my assessment. Temp issues were showing even early on Saturday for snow. This is unfolding exactly as expected for CAE.

Updated thoughts from Tate at WPC...

Extended Forecast Discussion
NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD
216 PM EST Mon Jan 17 2022

Valid 12Z Thu Jan 20 2022 - 12Z Mon Jan 24 2022

...Snow/ice are possible along the Eastern Seaboard late this week
and weekend on the eastern periphery of an Arctic high...

...The 00Z and incoming 12Z ECMWF are generally on the western side of the model spread with these features, leading to more precipitation over the Eastern Seaboard, while the GFS runs have been suppressed farther east into the Atlantic. The 00Z cluster analysis and ensemble member low plots showed that the GEFS and EC ensembles followed their operational runs, with GEFS members farther east than EC ensemble members. Tended to favor a position for the surface low near the 00Z EC ensemble mean as somewhat of a compromise, which was not too far off from the 00Z CMC position, but the 12Z CMC is now showing a more suppressed pattern. This forecast approach led to a trend west of the previous WPC forecast with the surface low and frontal placement, but not nearly to the western extent of the ECMWF runs.

...On the southern and eastern periphery of this high, moist air spilling into the cold air could lead to wintry weather on the northern periphery of precipitation spreading across the Gulf Coast states and then possibly up the Eastern Seaboard. Once again, uncertainty with the evolution of shortwaves and surface lows leads to low confidence in placement of wintry precipitation and precipitation type in some locations at this time, but the current forecast shows the potential for notable snow, sleet, and freezing rain particularly in the Carolinas and southern portions of the Mid-Atlantic for the latter part of the week, with some chance of spreading into the Northeast this weekend.

Tate

Back