• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

View attachment 107340
I am sure I am wishcasting here, but still am puzzled why 850s are that warm with a 1042 high over New York. I cannot remember ever seeing that before with such a huge difference with the cold surface and 925 temps.

And the low pressure doesn't seem that strong either, and it's off the coast. I guess it's going too neutral/negative too soon with the phase? With the phase modeled, I'm tossing and will wait to see ensembles. Euro smoking something.

Euro 850 low track and temperatures

caQXhR6.gif
Regardless cold air is there whether it’s the surface or above and this system looks like it could be much more long duration vs the other one. Will bode not good for anyone who sees any type of ice or even snow build up for that long

View attachment 107340
I am sure I am wishcasting here, but still am puzzled why 850s are that warm with a 1042 high over New York. I cannot remember ever seeing that before with such a huge difference with the cold surface and 925 temps.

And the low pressure doesn't seem that strong either, and it's off the coast. I guess it's going too neutral/negative too soon with the phase? With the phase modeled, I'm tossing and will wait to see ensembles. Euro smoking something.
Yeah the mid levels don't care what's going on at the surface. This phases and goes negative tilt just a bit too early, and too far NW for southeastern side areas for snow

zo6BKYz.gif

Yeah the mid levels don't care what's going on at the surface. This phases and goes negative tilt just a bit too early, and too far NW for southeastern side areas for snow

zo6BKYz.gif
Havent looked but 850 low probably running down southern NC?

Any chance that both miss with just a sliver of the Far East being impacted? This is serious cold I see I believe there won’t be much moisture involved for most on the board.

Any chance that both miss with just a sliver of the Far East being impacted? This is serious cold I see I believe there won’t be much moisture involved for most on the board.
Don't think so...just because there is cold air, it's usually relatively low level, while copious amount of moisture can easily override the cold air mass.

Grit, but it doesn't pull the slp inland. Is it that pesky 850 you showed earlier doing that?
Yes, that's what I should have stated....the sfc low and mid level lows don't always line up how you want them to be in terms of temperatures aloft for snow. For RDU-CLT snow, we'd want that 850 low closer to the coast, but the 500mb wave evolution doesn't allow it

Yes, that's what I should have stated....the sfc low and mid level lows don't always line up how you want them to be in terms of temperatures aloft for snow. For RDU-CLT snow, we'd want that 850 low closer to the coast, but the 500mb wave evolution doesn't allow it
So my guess plot on that current 12z euro run modeled track for the 850 is about right?

Back