• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Euro 850 low track and temperatures

caQXhR6.gif

So on the GFS I have over 1" of FZRA and the EURO I have .10" of ZR and a ton of cold rain. Good luck figuring it all out, but I feel like the main wind of Friday to Saturday now? Also, if that High can get a bit further in place quicker then super all hell could break loose.

Well, it's a little frustrating and fascinating at the same time to have such cold surface temperatures, a decent low track, and the snow is still confined to NW of I-85. To have two major events in a week with precip falling in the low 20's is very rare in the SE.

I got about 2.5" of pure sleet yesterday. This could be similar if it's anything close to what the Euro just showed.

Second wave screams marginal. I’m all in on wave 1 with a true cold source
Euro 850 low track and temperatures

caQXhR6.gif
1642444504754.png
I am sure I am wishcasting here, but still am puzzled why 850s are that warm with a 1042 high over New York. I cannot remember ever seeing that before with such a huge difference with the cold surface and 925 temps.

View attachment 107340
I am sure I am wishcasting here, but still am puzzled why 850s are that warm with a 1042 high over New York. I cannot remember ever seeing that before with such a huge difference with the cold surface and 925 temps.

Extra strong wedge? More contrast between lowest levels and 5K altitude.

Back