• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Doesn’t the Euro have a bias of holding energy back in the southwest and the GFS a bias of being to progressive with s/w’s? It’s like there biased are roll reversed when comparing the models

So my guess plot on that current 12z euro run modeled track for the 850 is about right?
Yeah so these maps are a bit crude, but this was the 850mb low track with temps

caQXhR6.gif

Personally, I much prefer the EURO over ANY model. I believe the GFS and it's new physics make it a much better model from previous years, but the EURO is still the go to model and is superior. Like Grit said, it looks like there is going to be another significant winter storm for the SE, but the details need to be ironed out.

If the euro ensembles support the op it will be interesting to watch play out. Very short lead time for such differences in op models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They pretty much do with more snow than 0Z EPS as well as plentiful ice/sleet in some areas:

Snow portion 12Z EPS: big hit much of NC/VA/upstate SC/E TN!
E55EA1EF-C4F1-4B07-B6BE-C8B2A05E4147.png

They pretty much do with more snow than 0Z EPS as well as plentiful ice/sleet in some areas:

Snow portion 12Z EPS: big hit much of NC and upstate SC!
View attachment 107359
What phase MJO are we in during this perceived hit? Wonder if our hot streak in good phases is supported through this solution

I have NO IDEA what's going to happen this weekend, but somebody is going to be happy. Could 1 wave hit, could it be 2? Anyone's guess at this point. This actually reminds me of Jan 2000 with an arctic front and a lot of energy flying around. The models were keying in on one wave and it was another that snuck in and leading to the Carolina crusher.
I was thinking the exact same thing, actually. I don't really like the comparison due to the hyperbole aspect of it. That event was modeled to be a late bloomer off the coast. But the arctic boundary came through and helped create an unstable environment for an undermodeled thunderstorm complex moving eastward along the Gulf, which essentially ejected energy that infused with the developing coastal and developed it more rapidly and much farther inland than forecast.

When I saw that trailing wave rolling down south on one of the charts somebody posted above, I thought about 2000. Many of us would like to experience that kind of a surprise again, though our models are better now, and I don't know if it's possible to see that anymore.

Not throwing in with the euro just yet unless gfs and cmc move that way. Also tomorrow we should know the story more or less
I also agree with this. If the euro was locked in with a stable solution that would be one thing, but there’s still large changes in the second wave timing that could throw off what it is currently showing. If anything, the CMC has probably been the most consistent over the past couple days and that’s pretty telling.

Oh and I'm good with where the Euro is rn. Let that big goober do what it's going to do. It'll stumble on in eventually.

It's solution is possible but it's only one of many on the table. I'm glad we have quite a few still off to the east.

Back