• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Just glancing at this page for the first time. Seems like this won’t have much if any affects at my location or much of upstate SC. Looks like a NC, VA kind of setup. Could be wrong though, as I was yesterday.

Just stop. You said the same thing about this last system and you got a good bit. I think you’re definitely in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have NO IDEA what's going to happen this weekend, but somebody is going to be happy. Could 1 wave hit, could it be 2? Anyone's guess at this point. This actually reminds me of Jan 2000 with an arctic front and a lot of energy flying around. The models were keying in on one wave and it was another that snuck in and leading to the Carolina crusher.
Any chance that both miss with just a sliver of the Far East being impacted? This is serious cold I see I believe there won’t be much moisture involved for most on the board.

Nobody on the planet knows for sure what’s going to happen. The 12z trends are for less phasing with the first threat. That could continue in coming cycles or could reverse. Just have to let it play out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This wasn't that unusual in the 70's & 80's.
We would get 2 low pressures form in the Gulf and work there way NE days apart.
There was one in the early 80's were we got 2 six inch snows in GVL county 48 hours or less apart from 2 different low pressures.
It has happened just not a lot since 90.
Our elder board members will remember.
You can get a cut off low out west that spits out impulse after impulse into a split flow. Good times.

Gawx speacil
sn10_acc.us_ma.png

Thanks for noting this, which would be a dream come true! I wish that were really snow on the GA/SC coast. However, I just looked at 850s and they’re above 0C (starting at +4C and ending near +1C). So, that would actually likely be ZR changing to IP late with probably little snow at most. It had 0.25” liquid equivalent here. So, Pivotal clown maps (at least UKMET) count all wintry precip as snow.

Last edited:
DT does not forecast for NC and SC tho. @BIG FROSTY do you believe he is including mount Airy in this broad state wide storm?

The CMC/ICON/Euro are very close with the northern stream placement at this hour while the GFS is the most fast and progressive, and it’s not even by much either, I like the agreement here, we just need to see how the southern stream plays out as that’s the struggle as well 2D869341-8EAE-4B80-8CBD-9F232EFE6F0F.png71C658BD-DEA6-4186-9E6C-2B58AE4C797D.png7D8139CF-89F2-4B19-87E1-DA4EF0E229F2.png2CCC0185-A7DF-42EA-B5C3-C087EEE6329E.png

Looking ahead to these prospects, I am rooting for @GaWx and those in that area to see some frozen precip. I was hoping/expecting a lot more than what we received in Jasper yesterday, barely even a dusting and only in the last wave early evening.

But the prospects for a generational event for those folks would be very enjoyable to follow and I am wishing them all the best.

Yesterday was great for most of the board ... but am rooting for those of you who may be able to get in on some action. Good luck!

I have NO IDEA what's going to happen this weekend, but somebody is going to be happy. Could 1 wave hit, could it be 2? Anyone's guess at this point. This actually reminds me of Jan 2000 with an arctic front and a lot of energy flying around. The models were keying in on one wave and it was another that snuck in and leading to the Carolina crusher.

Yeah, I agree with this. Somebody's getting something frozen this weekend in the Carolinas. However I will say depending on energy in the SW ejecting and phasing at just the right time with the northern stream is 9/10 times not working out IMBY. Never seems to eject, mainly hangs back, but we'll see.

If I had to guess right now, I'd guess some weak, late blooming wave will favor eastern NC somewhere. Kind of what the UK shows now.

Back