• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Unless we pull a crazy NW tend (which certainly is possible, we saw what happened with yesterday’s storm), I think Central & NE North Carolina along with SE Virginia are sitting in the sweet spot right now. Weak, late blooming Miller A’s/overunning events tend to give us our biggest storms.

This looks good to me at day 4...?‍♂️

Southern energy is further east past few runs.

View attachment 107282

This is not far off from what the majority of interior SE want to see. Good timing/tilt it would seem.... too bad the UKMET was one of the last models to catch up with the last event...

there’s honestly just many reasons to be skeptical about this storm with certain things
and we’re seeing why, we saw the perfect runs a couple days ago so didn’t have a great idea on what could go wrong, now we’ve seen both ways
No changes from me from my post a few days ago. Moisture is the problem. I hope someone way down east can score tho.

Unless we pull a crazy NW tend (which certainly is possible, we saw what happened with yesterday’s storm), I think Central & NE North Carolina along with SE Virginia are sitting in the sweet spot right now. Weak, late blooming Miller A’s/overunning events tend to give us our biggest storms.
Sitting in the sweet spot at day 4 is the kiss of death. Every single time.

Gawx speacil
sn10_acc.us_ma.png
If we trend things SW from here,this would actually be a really good look for CSRA, Midlands of SC, Central/NE NC and SE VA. Too bad other models,espically the CMC look worse and delays the cold for areas south of NC.

Sitting in the sweet spot at day 4 is the kiss of death. Every single time.
Yeah, I meant that seeing the GFS/ICON/UKMET set up the main axis of snow along the outer banks is good news for those areas. It is somewhat concerning though to see the Canadian, Euro, and the ensembles setting up the snow over Central NC and Southeast Va though. Doesn’t leave much margin for error.

Here’s the mean from the 12Z GEFS for wave #2: will it do the typical NW shift from here? We’ll see. If it didn’t, this would be near the ideal track for coastal SE snow.

View attachment 107273

View attachment 107275

Further to the above, here’s the track of the individual members. I couldn’t have drawn a better member map for a typical surface low track for a rare SE coastal winter storm. But alas, we know that there’s a bias that means a NW shift is more likely than not:

65F7639C-9C21-4A1A-BF02-30418D50DF14.pngFAA229DC-D21E-41EB-9365-E7A416B96F9D.pngA13C9502-2FC6-49D7-9F44-F56D99CFB25D.png

The WPC noted in their last discussion that they are basically refraining from "chasing waves" in this pattern that would knock their forecast all around. They're trying to stick to continuity.. so wouldn't be surprised to see their products potentailly not matching up with the models at times for our back yards. FWIW.

Here is their current Day 4:

9khwbg_conus.gif

Brad seems more interested in the second wave for our chances in clt.

I believe that’s correct, local PRO Mets are thinking the same way and I don’t blame them, past events have done the same and they are always too light on totals until the event actually starts and they play the caught up game like they did with this past system.

Yep you can't lose the polar wave if you want the first system to work unless you pull the wave to its SW out and start interacting but then you open the bag of ptype concerns creeping NW. This setup was clean the other day a strong polar wave digging deep and giving us a nice Miller A. Now it's a convoluted caveat driven mess
Kind of funny, the CMC pulls off this move back to back. At least we have a central and eastern trough with chances, and aren't talking SE ridges, MJO Phase 5, and bathtub sloshing ?‍♂️

crTFoX9.gif

Back