• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

View attachment 107263Really not a great trend
Yep you can't lose the polar wave if you want the first system to work unless you pull the wave to its SW out and start interacting but then you open the bag of ptype concerns creeping NW. This setup was clean the other day a strong polar wave digging deep and giving us a nice Miller A. Now it's a convoluted caveat driven mess

snku_acc.us_ma.png

there’s honestly just many reasons to be skeptical about this storm with certain things
and we’re seeing why, we saw the perfect runs a couple days ago so didn’t have a great idea on what could go wrong, now we’ve seen both ways
I feel like even the bad evolving models have printed a winter storm most of the time .. I feel like that should already be reeled in at this point now we just figure out who sleets and who snows

The trailing wave is what screws everything up. It pushes down on the flow and stretches the main vort back to the sw. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the window to trend back to a vort tucked underneath the main Ns vort is diminishing. We’re only 60-72 hours from the energy in the southwest elongating

Still think models are having a hard time latching onto which piece of energy. Odds are things get more amped and you get much more precip back to the west. Just depends on what the upper levels look like because cold at the surface looks legit.

The run to run consistently is like trying to gauge if you're about to fart or shart...and you have 30 seconds to decide to hightail it to the bathroom...

The GFS op and basically guidance are having issues keying in on energy just flying around in the atmosphere.

That's certainly an interesting way to describe it. I'm worried the cold air mass simply won't verify as deep which means the whole thing moves NW.

Back