• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

From RAH (nothing we don't know):
Thu night through Sun: There continues to remain uncertainty in this
timeframe with the deterministic guidance wavering back and forth on
the overall synoptic pattern and timing of mid-level and surface
features. While the GFS/CMC/ECMWF have come into better agreement on
isentropic ascent atop the arctic cold front in the Fri-Sat period
with a surface wave, the previous GFS/ECMWF were dry. To add to
that, the models still disagree on the placement of a potential
Miller-A surface low. The uncertainty likely lies in how the mid-
level pattern will evolve, where guidance indicates a northern
stream shortwave tracking southeast from the upper Midwest Thursday
night into the western Atlantic by late Saturday. At the same time,
the models show a secondary shortwave over the southwest US tracking
east into the lower MS valley Fri. It remains to be seen whether or
not the northern and southern stream shortwaves will merge, which
will impact the downstream pattern and where a resultant surface
wave develops along the arctic front, also influencing precipitation
types (rain, snow, or a mixture). Have kept low chance PoPs as the
suite of ensembles continues to indicate the potential for snow.
Nevertheless, a trend to colder temperatures is forecast. The arctic
airmass will bring some of the coldest air so far this season with
temperatures 10-20 degrees below normal for the upcoming weekend.

&&

6z Euro looked pretty similar to 0z to me. In fact, most modeling is surprisingly similar with the setup. Drastically different results depending on if the sw energy gets broken up or all comes out together. I’d lean towards the energy staying more consolidated and come out a bit faster. We should know tomorrow after everything is sampled, and then we can focus on what happens in our region as a result.
For the Midlands of SC and the CSRA, we should basically hope we see a solutuion that's in between what the Euro shows and what the GFS shows if we want to see pure snow? The SW Energy that isn't too consolidated like the Euro, but isn't too weak like the GFS and ICON?

6z Euro looked pretty similar to 0z to me. In fact, most modeling is surprisingly similar with the setup. Drastically different results depending on if the sw energy gets broken up or all comes out together. I’d lean towards the energy staying more consolidated and come out a bit faster. We should know tomorrow after everything is sampled, and then we can focus on what happens in our region as a result.

These kinds of setups can really put it down hard and fast with the death bands that setup and train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just took a look too - to my eyes the 6z Euro was just a tick better with digging the northern wave in at 90 but overall similar timing. It was vastly further southwest with the northern stream wave than the 6z GFS.

Just took a look too - to my eyes the 6z Euro was just a tick better with digging the northern wave in at 90 but overall similar timing. It was vastly further southwest with the northern stream wave than the 6z GFS.
So more the northern wave digs,the more cold air is involved,correct? If we see trend towards more of the northern wave digging, could this increase the chance that the Midlands of SC and the CSRA sees pure snow as opposed to sleet or freezing rain?

For the Midlands of SC and the CSRA, we should basically hope we see a solutuion that's in between what the Euro shows and what the GFS shows if we want to see pure snow? The SW Energy that isn't too consolidated like the Euro, but isn't too weak like the GFS and ICON?
I hate to say it for you, because you guys are as overdue as me for a purely snow event as I am but I think the Midlands are going to have to deal with some mixing issues with this. The good news is that I don’t think y’all will anything in the neighborhood of the amount of ZR that these maps are showing… you would be dealing with a good deal of sleet, and you should get to see things changing over to accumulating snow as the storm progresses

Last edited:
Very strong wording from KFFC-Atlanta

This has the potential to be a big event, but without a
convergence in model solutions and better run-to-run consistency,
messaging timing, amounts, and impacts will be challenging.
The forecast will certainly change over the coming days, so stay
tuned.

Hey guys something to keep in mind with the ZR maps we’ve seen is important to remember, especially for some of the folks down east that didn’t follow this last storm once they were out of the game… those maps will very likely not come close to verify. 48 hours we were seeing maps that were showing CLT up to the Triad getting absolutely crippled from ice buildup, even though the soundings were strongly favoring sleet. If you pull up the soundings on these models and see that the column is below freezing from 925mb down to the surface, then that is a sounding strongly favoring sleet to be the predominant precip type

1642426827655.gif
Look at those SSTs over the Gulf Stream. Lots of warm water to tap for moisture and also set up a strong baroclinic zone. My only fear with it here in Raleigh is the potential for warmer upper level mixing, as demonstrated by last nights Euro run. We definitely need a more positive tilt to this thing so we get more west to east winds. With the amount of energy though someone is going to get pounded.

Back