• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

I’m moving to Huntsville or ATL. It just snows there all the time. ?‍♂️

View attachment 106989View attachment 106988
Eh, we saw flakes today, but that's about it outside of the mountains. I'm really not excited about another borderline temperature event. I know that makes up the bulk of our events, but that doesn't mean that I like them. It also doesn't help that the first year I moved here we had a blockbuster snow at 24 degrees and several more cold snows after.

That general look, is extremely similar to February 2014, and that Arctic front
It’s funny that you should mention February 2014 with this, because there some other similarities. Back before those two back to back storms, the models had the overall idea of a storm, especially in the ensembles, but seemed early on to have trouble catching on to the different pieces of energy and how they would come together. It was as we got to about 48 hours or so before the first system that they were latched on to the idea of two separate storms. I think there’s a decent chance that might be happening right now.

Go back Jan 2000. Same deal artic front rolled through and we got a weekend weak sauce event. Front stalled over gulf coast and Monday a ns shortwave dropped right in the basket
Dude that weekend event in January 2000 wasn’t weak sauce for everyone. All of CLT metro back through the SC upstate got widespread 4-6” out of it with up to a .25” of ice on top… that was a great few days for me

Pretty interesting that the WPC has highlighted it still.
prbww_sn25_DAY6_conus.gif

Back