• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

18z GEFS Ens Mean Snow on SV for Fri-Mon

dvEOAo0.gif

This thread is already confusing. How should be split/break this down? Or is everyone good with multiple waves/chances discussed all in here?
I was thinking the same thing. I looking at next Sunday system but others are looking at a midweek system and a Friday system. I’m confused

My sense is there are not actually going to be two storms as this develops. A stationary front with a wave forming?
Grit posted a gif earlier of my thinking honestly. It's not uncommon to have multiple waves ride along a stalled out Arctic front giving smaller events, and something I'm honestly rooting for right now. Instead of one big bad wave that MAY over amplify.

Even with that, we could still have the small waves and a bigger one when all is said and done.

My sense is there are not actually going to be two storms as this develops. A stationary front with a wave forming?
I tend to agree with this statement but this is something we haven't seen in many years. A VERY strong front which stalls off of the coast then over running moisture. These come in waves. The models are having a hard time with a consistent solution, thus the ensembles are the way to go. Something is most likely going to occur next Friday, Saturday, or Sunday but is it going to be one day or multiple?

This is how NWS RAH described in their 3:45pm discussion:

Following Arctic high pressure will sprawl ewd from the nrn Plains
to the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, with what may be the coldest
airmass of the season for cntl NC by Fri through the weekend. It
will be the srn extent of that Arctic drape, where both isentropic
lift and cyclogenesis may become energized by the aforementioned low
predictability shortwave troughs aloft, where precipitation --
including wintry on the poleward side-- will be possible, including
near or just southeast of cntl NC. To reiterate, those details and
the sensible weather impacts, with the threat of precipitation
spreading nwd into the Arctic air, remain highly uncertain - but a
possibility worth monitoring as those details are hopefully resolved
during the coming days.

I tend to agree with this statement but this is something we haven't seen in many years. A VERY strong front which stalls off of the coast then over running moisture. These come in waves. The models are having a hard time with a consistent solution, thus the ensembles are the way to go. Something is most likely going to occur next Friday, Saturday, or Sunday but is it going to be one day or multiple?

May not get resolved until those radiosondes (wave-offshore pacific) come in Tues morning

Back