• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

I don't know what to root for! I guess over amped, it's gone. Under amped, still a great chance for a hit. Especially with WPC honking already I think that's pretty solid. Hopefully they don't see the afternoon runs and say....nevermind out to sea. lol.
Where I am, I'm all in on under amped. You guys can do better with amped systems.

I don't know what to root for! I guess over amped, it's gone. Under amped, still a great chance for a hit. Especially with WPC honking already I think that's pretty solid. Hopefully they don't see the afternoon runs and say....nevermind out to sea. lol.
We root for a bomb 4 hrs out

We root for a bomb 4 hrs out

We're walking such a fine line. We need a phase, so we need some dig here it looks like. The energy can't be left back for a good hit. So you hope for eventually amplification. But how much? Too much and RDU is out, but some 77 corridor may work. Too little 77 may be left out. Pins and needles. :) ?

WPC still likes it...

Extended Forecast Discussion
NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD
158 PM EST Sun Jan 16 2022

Valid 12Z Wed Jan 19 2022 - 12Z Sun Jan 23 2022

A series of impulses will carve out and reinforce a broad mean trough over the central and eastern states during the extended period while the upper ridge amplifies offshore the West Coast. The leading shortwave will track over the Great Lakes region into the Northeast by Thursday with one behind it digging into the South Friday and then pulling offshore the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast region Saturday. This pattern will be conducive for precipitation to spread across the higher terrain of the Northern and Central Rockies through Friday and precipitation to span from Texas/western Gulf Coast, Deep South, Southeast to the Mid-Atlantic and push eastward beyond the weekend into next early next week.

Previously, it was noted that there is significant forecast spread and run to run uncertainty with this latter feature and associated mid-winter weather focus with frontal wave/coastal low genesis. The 06Z/12Z guidance continues to have notable spread on the placement/track of the secondary shortwave feature. In turn, the QPF placement varies significantly as well, especially across the Gulf states, Southeast and Southern Appalachia. To combat these differences, a general blend of the GFS/GEFS mean/CMC/ECWMF/EC ensemble means were used through all time periods. This provide a middle ground approach and helped maintain continuity from the previous forecast cycle.

...As the Arctic blast reaches the southern tier states a wavy cold front will encounter Gulf moisture to fuel an emerging area of precipitation up from the South/Southeast. This pattern will be favorable for an enhanced swath of overrunning snow/ice on the northern periphery of activity later in the week. This wave may develop into a robust coastal low/winter storm that tracks up the East Coast.

Campbell/Schichtel

The CAE NWS says yes, and was saying yes yesterday as well even though the discussion IIRC was kinda more like "it's too early to tell"

Thursday Night
A chance of rain showers before 3am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday
A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday Night
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

A t least in central Bama this looks alot like what happened today...If this were a poker game I would shoot the dealer for dealing from the bottom of the deck.:mad:
0ef5f2a5-40e1-426a-b45a-737248c68414-png.106819

PLEASE DON'T TORMENT US AGAIN WITH SNOW 360 DEGREES AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are these 2 different systems being linked or the same systems on different days?

A t least in central Bama this looks alot like what happened today...If this were a poker game I would shoot the dealer for dealing from the bottom of the deck.:mad:
0ef5f2a5-40e1-426a-b45a-737248c68414-png.106819

PLEASE DON'T TORMENT US AGAIN WITH SNOW 360 DEGREES AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That doesn't include today's does it??

Not IMBY but a pretty rare and gutsy call by NWS KGNV/KJAX in their afternoon update this far out ... regarding very late this week ...

Friday through the weekend, A strong center of high pressure will
build in behind the front from the midwest filtering in another
chilly airmass that will deliver well below normal temperatures
to end the week with a potential for light freezing rain and snow
flurries over inland SE GA areas as suggested by the ECMWF
which
keep precipitation over the area as temperatures fall below
freezing north of I-10 late Friday evening into Saturday morning
while GFS pulls all the precip off the coast before temperatures
fall below freezing Friday night.

Back