• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

This somewhat resembles when I was following the early January 2018 coastal storm that ended up giving SE and coastal GA/S and coastal SC their biggest winter storm by far in a generation (since 12/1989). The ensemble runs a number of days in advance of 1/2018 were showing a decent number of members with a very rare coastal GA/SC winter storm, which was something I hadn’t seen on ensembles in years, if at all. (I may search the old thread to confirm the details.)

Todays models and certainly this 0Z GEFS are looking pretty similar with more than an isolated member or two. Until this potential storm showed up, there had been zero ensemble runs with this level of activity since 1/2018. So, despite the rarity of these coastal storms, this has my attention. Could there be two just 4 years apart?

I counted 30% (9) of the members with significant wintry precip for here. Also, I counted 10% (3) at @pcbjr home, something I haven’t seen in 4 years.

Just a gut feeling but the euro and it’s ensembles we’re the most consistent with our current winter storm in the longer range before the gfs eventually took the lead in consistency. I think if euro ensembles still look good tonight the GFS will start ejecting the energy eastward like the 18z run. 0z gfs was a very suspect run looked almost identical to 12z. Euro/EPS is important tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a gut feeling but the euro and it’s ensembles we’re the most consistent with our current winter storm in the longer range before the gfs eventually took the lead in consistency. I think if euro ensembles still look good tonight the GFS will start ejecting the energy eastward like the 18z run. 0z gfs was a very suspect run looked almost identical to 12z. Euro/EPS is important tonight

The Canadian did great from four-three days out. Same with GFS. I think they both did awesome.

The Canadian did great from four-three days out. Same with GFS. I think they both did awesome.

Yes I agree, but D7/8 the euro led the way then kinda lost it in medium range then came back

Euro out to 135. It's phasing the waves again, but just a touch later this run....going to be a good storm
500hv.conus.png

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

Back