• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

There is no “problem” it has trended to other guidance finally for the correct solution. The euro finally matches my thoughts from a couple of days ago. I think it could tick east if any, it’s a a little too high on the western sides.

There is no “problem” it has trended to other guidance finally for the correct solution. The euro finally matches my thoughts from a couple of days ago. I think it could tick east if any, it’s a a little too high on the western sides.
What exactly is the reasoning behind your thinking?

GFS has been all over this one, Euro caving, would not be surprised to see even more SE movement with the snow over the next 24-36 hrs, eastern half of NC looking good.

MBY has gone from nothing to 5" today on the Euro....folks from the Triangle east and north of 264 and maybe even 70 gonna get a damn decent hit....a few more bumps like that and someone ( cough Metwannabe cough ) might get a foot cause if anything the QPF is usually underdone in overrunning events, that plus deep cold give better than 10:1.

What exactly is the reasoning behind your thinking?
It’s always been a late bloomer and those rarely if ever spit moisture back from the coast to the mountains. There’s always sharp gradients with these type of southern sliders that eject in a east north east flow. My reasoning was looking at all guidance not just the one or two that was showing heavy snow for Wilkes. There was plenty of guidance that was alarming for those out west but people were trying to say it will pop n/w like the last system. This is nothing similar to our last system in terms of direction/path and esp where the qpf develops. I could just say sky healing from the recent snow and it’s someone’s else’s turn to see snow (Raleigh) but I didn’t!

It’s always been a late bloomer and those rarely if ever spit moisture back from the coast to the mountains. There’s always sharp gradients with these type of southern sliders that eject in a east north east flow. My reasoning was looking at all guidance not just the one or two that was showing heavy snow for Wilkes. There was plenty of guidance that was alarming for those out west but people were trying to say it will pop n/w like the last system. This is nothing similar to our last system in terms of direction/path and esp where the qpf develops. I could just say sky healing from the recent snow and it’s someone’s else’s turn to see snow (Raleigh) but I didn’t!
The problem is, while it’s completely possible this heads SE, this setup while being a late bloomer is also overrunning driven by WAA/FGEN at the start, not just a late bloomer. these forcing agents typically result in more mixed precip and precip more NW then forecasted

The problem is, while it’s completely possible this heads SE, this setup while being a late bloomer is also overrunning driven by WAA/FGEN at the start, not just a late bloomer. these forcing agents typically result in more mixed precip and precip more NW then forecasted
Also what are the odds that this system starts going back NW around the 48 hour mark? I say likely it’s just a matter of how much

Yes and the GFS has come back west with its low and the precip shield on the western side, and is not the only model seeing more precip expanding to the west. I actually agree that the triangle and points east and northeast will likely see the highest snowfall accumulation, but I also think there is a lot that screams for 3”+ snowfall back to the mountains, foothills and SC upstate…. Strong FGEN forcing and strong jet dynamics… it’s a very similar to what happened in the January 2002 storm… western area got a nice overunning event while eastern take advantage of the low gaining strength near the coast

Exactly… as many mets have noted.. there is nothing to prevent the last minute shift NW that we’ve all grown accustomed to

Yeah I feel like every system we’ve had this year trended south until about 2 days before. Then it would start trending back north. This could be different but that’s been a theme this winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also what are the odds that this system starts going back NW around the 48 hour mark? I say likely it’s just a matter of how much
The NAM is hinting at it. If the euro was on board like it was yesterday id feel good about chances further west. The euro completely lost it but the gfs is now trying to go back west slowly which is good. If the 00z NAM looses it too than I think it’s time to move on from thinking this will be a major event for N GA and the upstate. Thermals look great we just need some stinking qpf to deal with. That’s never really been the problem for us recently.

Back