• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

I mean does anybody else see the similarities between this and 1/28/14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will say that while there are similarities, we are dealing with much more of a boom potential. That storm had a flat trough that had some energy ride along with it, while this one is reliant on the phase.

I mean does anybody else see the similarities between this and 1/28/14

From a synoptic standpoint? Yeah, absolutely. Mesoscale details still need to be ironed out and very well may not be until showtime (if it ever arrives)

But...the cold push on this system doesn't appear to be as robust with the air being a bit more shallow.

Location matters. We had highs sub freezing in bama after that system . This time 40s . Massive difference . Not a great comparison IMO due to the highs that will follow this system

I would bet that models won’t have a great handle on cold air. Granted, that was record cold for 3 days after. I think this has potential. It was very dry at the surface but mid layers are what made that snow so efficient .

Back