• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Short range trending with more digging of the energy which has been the trend in the short range this year. Much more expansive precip shield as well.

In my opinion NAM didn't look nearly as good as the RGEM. Plus, we all know about its cold bias as well. We've got some work to do I think in western NC to get a warning criteria event. Hopefully models trends toward the GEFS axis where we can all get in on the fun.

RDPS did what @wow asked the NAM to do on his drawing

ixlsPDO.gif
We should all do what @wow asks us to do.

The wild thing about that RGEM run, especially for those of us in the triangle N&W is we seemingly hadn’t even wetbulbed yet. I noticed Roxboro was 19/14 so theoretically, you could wetbulb in the mid teens with heavy snow.

In my opinion NAM didn't look nearly as good as the RGEM. Plus, we all know about its cold bias as well. We've got some work to do I think in western NC to get a warning criteria event. Hopefully models trends toward the GEFS axis where we can all get in on the fun.
RGEM is only cold biased at the surface and is in line with other model guidance on surface temps. RGEM and NAM are still in the same camp and depict a more robust precip shield on the NW side which is likely to take shape.

I think the money wave is the 2nd wave. I wouldn't expect many people to get much off the initial front coming though. The winter storm that we need to be more focused on is the 2nd wave forming and the end of the gulf.
Kind of yes, but the RDPS has the ticket for many (not all) with phasing the 2 waves late. GFS is keeping the 2 waves separate, with the northern stream wave tracking too far north into the Ohio Valley, and the southern stream wave coming out late and weaker. RDPS is much better for many

A large portion of this snow on the 18Z NAM clown is from ZR and some from sleet based on how far north the 850 0C line is, including the far south TX stuff. This image shows about as far south as it got on the 18Z NAM:

View attachment 107938
Thanks @GaWx. ATL city and south metro are right on that line as well. Lotta folks (including me) gonna be white-knuckling it given the qpf.

Back