• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

I want to get excited but I'm scared too lol, the 12z eps thus far, maybe a smidge better

1642788000-dGVGxhPjX5o.png

Is there any way this trends better and more precipitation for those of us in NW upstate Sc? Looks weak right now.

Those in the Triad should feel pretty good, not because it is the jackpot. but beacuase all that falls will be Sn, maybe 3-4 inches while further west into the mountains, I could see 2-3 due to the lift they get and extra cold DP's. Raleigh Metro will vary quite a bit with the most sn in the North and East sections although the further east you go the more ice will be involved. On a line Rocky Mount North into SE Va. you could see 6-8 inches but because of sleet and ZR however it will compact quite a bit by the end. The Coastal Plain unfortunately will see a lof of QPF but most will be ZR and it could be a disastrous ice storm for you folks. SC will see some snow (especially in the Northern part) but also a lot of ice which will cut into their totals. SE Va and extreme NE NC will end up being in the jackpot zone IMO. Sorry Ala, Miss, and Ga. only the mountains of Ga has a decent chance of getting some snow. FTR, I don't see a NW trend much for the LP but the precipitation will expand and be heavier than what is currently being depicted in WNC

Sorry I posted too soon lol
1642896000-FOajXx0Vakc.png
It's looking very promising up that way Met, I hope you do well with this one. What's good for some may not be good for others but nothing we can do about it, If you miss with one just look for the next one. That's how we roll anyway!
EDIT: I haven't been looking for anything from this storm anyway because I thought I seen Birdman post that we were not getting snow back here? ?‍♂️:rolleyes:?

Last edited:
Guidance continues to struggle with this potential winter storm this weekend. There are more model support of a cyclogenesis. The last two runs of the Euro has went toward the Canadian. About 75% of GEFS members depict some type of wintry weather. The system seems to kick out too fast to create warm air at the 850mb level in the western Carolinas and NE GA. There is support that the models are not depicting all available moister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Euro has temps in the low 20s during this storm, damn.
Yeah, surface temps look amazing for this one. Going to be huge for us. Minimal accumulation lost to melting and the roads were get covered nearly immediately. Will make it a very high impact event even if the raw totals aren’t huge. 2” in these conditions will be higher impact on travel than 6-10” at 33F.

I’ve been ignoring this storm the last couple days to keep from getting my hopes up, but it does look promising here. Hopefully, we don’t screw this up. I’ve already got friends talking about it and the NWS point forecast is pretty confident.

Back