• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

a jog to the NW is going to be expected as we get closer. Nothing is really holding it back from not going back NW some. Couple that with FGEN driven precip and global model bias of not picking up on it is making this threat look really nice for places that aren't in those 6"+ areas right now.
Very good point. This will be one where we will have to follow the HRRR very closely to see just how far back to the west and northwest that occurs. During the January 2002 storm that was shown earlier, the models didn’t pick up on FGEN forcing until the short range models were coming into view…. while not receiving the amount that eastern CLT metro and points NE received, the northern Foothills and mountains still received a solid snowfall… I would expect something similar in this set up

I’ll ride to the cliff that this thing is coming NW. I’m going back and reading old threads for overrunning events and they all looked similar to this at this range.
1/28/14 at this time frame.
View attachment 107862

12/7/17
View attachment 107870
@Iceagewhereartthou see above. Globals don't pick up FGEN WAA generated precip. It is always more expansive and heavier than models can pick up on. This past weekend is a perfect example of that. Over running always has a more expansive precip field than what is modeled.

@Iceagewhereartthou see above. Globals don't pick up FGEN WAA generated precip. It is always more expansive and heavier than models can pick up on. This past weekend is a perfect example of that. Over running always has a more expansive precip field than what is modeled.
and there are some very good jet dynamics showing as well… all of that points to more expansive precip shield to the north and west

Given how are last system played out and how most seem to play out, especially at the last minute. I feel like if you’re sitting from N. GA to the Carolina’s- I’d be cautiously optimistic that there is a decent chance you’ll see something. And for the first time in a while, I’m really optimistic for those along and South of 85. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-z500_speed-1642507200-1642734000-1642896000-10.gif

The jet definitely supports more moisture than what is being shown on the precip maps.

Given how are last system played out and how most seem to play out, especially at the last minute. I feel like if you’re sitting from N. GA to the Carolina’s- I’d be cautiously optimistic that there is a decent chance you’ll see something. And for the first time in a while, I’m really optimistic for those along and South of 85. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember you used to live in Union County, so you know how frustrating these last few years have been down this way with being just on the wrong side of the line. I am cautiously optimistic that this will finally be a decent hit for this part of CLT metro

I’ll ride to the cliff that this thing is coming NW. I’m going back and reading old threads for overrunning events and they all looked similar to this at this range.
1/28/14 at this time frame.
View attachment 107862

12/7/17
View attachment 107870

This Friday deal does probably verify more amped than today's runs, that's been the trend this winter. But 12/9/17 was completely different. It had a big low instead of a 1040hp.

compday.e8Gi7Z1PF1.gifecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-mslp_anom-2788000.png

So wait is this 2 systems one Friday and another Saturday or is it just one consolidated storm?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Back