• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winters Last Stand / March 11th-13th Winter Storm

0z CMC begins as snow but transitions to moderate-heavy sleet and freezing rain across much of NC as the event progresses, providing a nice coating of glaze &/or heavily compacting any snow received in the earlier stages of the storm... Definitely a believable scenario (esp given our luck of late w/ winter storms) and w/ warm ground temps, some of the snow especially near the onset may not stick to the ground which would only further hamper snow accumulations here... Hence, be extremely weary of getting sucked into "total snow" maps which spit out even as little as 3-6 inches of snow east of the NC mountains, actual totals are liable to be at least half or even a third of that if these aforementioned conditions are realized.I_nw_EST_2017030812_106.png

Still think the place to be is going to end up being NE TN/NW NC but unless there is a major change, a lot of the upper south is going to see a nice event imo, especially for late in the year...

Good lord the cmc does dump on central and northern Tennessee!

98c909666f725f529ef863d30faea508.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0z CMC begins as snow but transitions to moderate-heavy sleet and freezing rain across much of NC as the event progresses, providing a nice coating of glaze &/or heavily compacting any snow received in the earlier stages of the storm... Definitely a believable scenario (esp given our luck of late w/ winter storms) and w/ warm ground temps, some of the snow especially near the onset may not stick to the ground which would only further hamper snow accumulations here... Hence, be extremely weary of getting sucked into "total snow" maps which spit out even as little as 3-6 inches of snow east of the NC mountains, actual totals are liable to be at least half or even a third of that if these aforementioned conditions are realized.View attachment 406
Isn't the CMC a much lower resolution model than the GFS and Euro? Not to say that it would be wrong necessarily.

Still think the place to be is going to end up being NE TN/NW NC but unless there is a major change, a lot of the upper south is going to see a nice event imo, especially for late in the year...
I think the Cumberland plateau around Cookeville and Crossville will be a good spot. That's where i'm thinking of going.

Gefs looks really good for the northern half of Tennessee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the CMC a much lower resolution model than the GFS and Euro? Not to say that it would be wrong necessarily.

Yes, you're right, the CMC runs with a horizontal resolution 25 km, while the GFS is run at 13km and high resolution ECMWF at 9km, however for regional-scale applications (RGEM), it's run at 10km and out to 48 hours, oth through my experience in the last several years in monitoring NC winter weather, the GEM/CMC tends to consistently out perform the GFS during CAD events...

The 0Z Euro is about to be even colder as it is slower and letting more cold air and wedging get in place in advance.

namconus_asnow_us_29.png
for those who can't sleep, and is under the sheets looking at this.

6z GFS = meh! Not much change from last run, NC bullseye

Accounting for warm ground temps melting at least the first bit of snow that falls, the lower ratios (< 10:1), and potential for mixing w/ sleet and freezing rain in central and eastern NC (especially further south & east where the heavier precipitation is), cut these modeled snow totals by ~ 45-65%...

ECMWF
ecmwf_tsnow_raleigh_25.png

GFS
gfs_asnow_seus_19.png

CMC

gem_asnow_seus_19.png

NAM
namconus_asnow_seus_29.png

In general accounting for these aforementioned biases, the models are generally saying for areas east of the mtns...

ECMWF: Trace-0.5" (locally up to 1")
GFS: 1-3"
CMC: 1-2"
NAM: 2-4"
The consensus is somewhere around 1-2" of snow/sleet w/ locally ~3" in central and eastern NC. A low end event, but certainly a rare treat for mid-late March...

Webb is spot on as usual and a great reminder that clown maps are fun to look at but always temper expectations. Also at least looking on my phone the GFS appeared colder to me this run and colder for the second system also with some back end snow with that up this way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
6z GEFS cut back totals from the crazy 0z run. Much more in line with other modeling with 2-3 inches for many areas. I'm sure there are not as many insane individual members. Maybe we are coming to a consensus???

When everyone wakes up, hopefully we can get an EPS report. I'm guessing the mean is slightly higher than the op, especially east of the mountains.

Back