• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now is the time to make any last minute purchases of wood chippings for animals, ice melt or kerosene. No one can tell you where or how much winter winter weather is coming but the writing is on the wall for much cooler temperatures after this week. Beat the public before the media scares them into a frenzy. Cut back any weak trees or limbs that could cause damage. Clean out ditches to prevent flooding.

I think we’re about to see something pop inside d8 very soon. I am posting that thought here in the whamby so if it doesn’t happen, which it probably won’t, then you all can’t hold me to it.

Yeah I scanned the GEFS and the pattern generally looks good a week from today, but as of right now it's chaos on determining anything at all if you look at the ensembles. Could be anywhere from a major blizzard in some areas, to gulf flurries, to rain in Cuba and anything in between. Shooting arrows at a target. Don't have an idea.

I think we’re about to see something pop inside d8 very soon. I am posting that thought here in the whamby so if it doesn’t happen, which it probably won’t, then you all can’t hold me to it.

Everything I'm seeing shows we should have the cold on the 21st (day 8) and 22nd to work with.

I highly doubt there would be a winter storm during the first cold surge next week. Time is closing in now, and there hasn't been any solid consistency of a winter storm on the GFS or the Euro. I'm officially writing off a significant winter storm for next week. And honestly, I'm so glad I did not fall for all the "noise" from the ensembles. If the ensembles showed that kind of snow like we've been seeing in a 5-7 day window instead, I'd take it more serious. There needs to be time for things to "adjust" within the pattern if that makes sense. We would have a better chance at scoring a winter storm during transitions from moderation of temps to cold surges, not soon as a strong cold surge takes place. However, sometimes we do get lucky and score a winter storm as soon as a cold surge takes place. I'm just going with what normally ends up happening instead of following a "fine line."

Looking at today's 12z GFS 500mb, this does not look good for winter storm development next week if you ask me if this 500mb pattern holds true. Massive ridge to the north with a strong high pushing south from Canada. We'll have the cold, but as I've been saying, the southern branch will most likely become less active and suppressed during the first cold surge. There could be a chance of minor frozen precipitation with that system on the 24th at the onset. The high pressure rushes east before that system gets kicked out. That is not ideal for a massive widespread winter storm, for CAD, yes. I have a good feeling for the last week this month for a winter storm. So, I'm going all IN for the last week.
Posts like this belong in whamby if your gonna speak in absolutes and take indirect jabs at a poster following the ensembles. Very little scientific information was shared as to why you are throwing out these random darts at the wall.

Kirk Mellish sees a pattern flip. He is really good at seeing winter storms before most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He missed the 2014 "Snowjam" so bad in 2014 I remember him taking some time off and kind of apologizing. I quit following him after that. His forecast for the Atlanta area that day was partially the reason thousands were stranded. He was, and maybe still is, the most listened to voice in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back