• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
3f37ca9d6f60a8ec4b46a6789636c28a.jpg

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what are we looking at again??

I am going to say this every time we have a severe threat. I hate the categories they have now. Really only need 3 or 4 at most. Slight and marginal mean the same thing, and moderate means average and should be lower than enhanced. I think just using a number scale from 1 to 4 would be easier for the general public, or at least just have marginal, moderate, enhanced, and high.

I am going to say this every time we have a severe threat. I hate the categories they have now. Really only need 3 or 4 at most. Slight and marginal mean the same thing, and moderate means average and should be lower than enhanced. I think just using a number scale from 1 to 4 would be easier for the general public, or at least just have marginal, moderate, enhanced, and high.

Really...

Man everyone seems on edge. It’s tough. We know the window is narrow. You just want a storm to pop and stay there for 12 days but that’s not the reality of it. Even I, fully aware of that, struggle with it. Woosahhh

I actually think this is a good point here regarding the marginal & slight terminology, a similar argument could be posed for moderate and enhanced, it definitely muddles the perceived threat in the public. There's been a lot of internal discussion and arguments over this very topic and the consensus antithesis to the current SPC categories is a numbered system or revised wording (I.e. a 1-5 scale w/ very low, low, moderate, high, & very high terminology for ex)

I actually think this is a good point here regarding the marginal & slight terminology, a similar argument could be posed for moderate and enhanced, it definitely muddles the perceived threat in the public. There's been a lot of internal discussion and arguments over this very topic and the consensus antithesis to the current SPC categories is a numbered system or revised wording (I.e. a 1-5 scale w/ very low, low, moderate, high, & very high terminology for ex)

Tell that to the victims...

Tell that to the victims...

Huh? I don't see how discussion over a better way to communicate severe weather risk to the public is a bad thing to the victims of this most recent bout of severe weather or somehow overshadows the loss experienced by them and their friends, families, and acquaintances.

Sky healing is not a actual thing and I'm not sure who started this term although I remember Wilkesdud saying if every other post back on AmWx. The truth is, back to back storms have happened when good patterns that lock in, you can go to webberweather.com and look at the years and view the dates that are back-to-back with snow storms. The only way it doesn't happen is if said pattern is transient (aka transient blocking, transient +PNA, etc)...it might be a bias to say we need "healing" instead of just saying it doesn't snow often in the south and that's why it's not snowing again in a relatively short period of time following a big snow.
Lol this had me laughing for some reason, especially the first few parts

Sky healing is not a actual thing and I'm not sure who started this term although I remember Wilkesdud saying if every other post back on AmWx. The truth is, back to back storms have happened when good patterns that lock in, you can go to webberweather.com and look at the years and view the dates that are back-to-back with snow storms. The only way it doesn't happen is if said pattern is transient (aka transient blocking, transient +PNA, etc)...it might be a bias to say we need "healing" instead of just saying it doesn't snow often in the south and that's why it's not snowing again in a relatively short period of time following a big snow.

Apparently, the sky has been healing for nearly 15 years straight in RDU, still can't get to that elusive 10"+ mark!

If we get a good pattern and cash in this month I'll get on here and admit to crapping the bed. I punted the whole month. As horrible as the models looked and history records I'd make the call again too based on data at that time.

I'm not 100% ready to ask for the rope yet. I remember fantasy 10 day patterns last year never verifying. But I do realize it's a different setup now. Just cautiously optimistic now.

Glad to hear they are discussing it. That would be better, but I think 4 categories would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back