• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ The PNA has not been our friend this winter. The -NAO has been missing for many winters now. The past few years we could at least count on the PNA to give us one winter storm (for some) and some legitimate cold spells. The LR back in the tank (..at the worst time):
View attachment 32916

This will be our 3rd straight Feb with a stout -PNA.

I dislike a -EPO because when there is blocking in that region, it's going to cause a trough over the western US, and then another ridge builds downstream (SER) it's vise versa.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I dislike a -EPO because when there is blocking in that region, it's going to cause a trough over the western US, and then another ridge builds downstream (SER) it's vise versa.

Wrong...most of the cold and snow in the last decade was -epo driven

Last edited:
I thought a -EPO was supposed to bring cold across the majority of the US? It seems like this winter, when there is blocking over the EPO region, the SER comes back...while everyone else gets the cold.

I thought a -EPO was supposed to bring cold across the majority of the US? It seems like this winter, when there is blocking over the EPO region, the SER comes back...while everyone else gets the cold.

It's all in the ridge location over alaska. Too far west, cold west. Cold over eastern alaska/west coast, usually we're nice and cold. Usually dry, cold. This year EPO hasn't helped us.

It should but when its west or southwest based its going to give the opposite effect, it's like the east based -nao usually being accompanied by the SE ridge

Make a few dozen changes here and there and we could be rockin’ with our D3 storm. I can almost see the SLP 150 miles SE of ILM now.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_11.png

This was emailed to me from a friend at work:
Doesn’t look to be easing up.

Today: 17485 confirmed cases, 362 dead, 506 recovered

Recovered is finally ahead of those that died. Makes sense that the number recovered is delayed somewhat (“no fever for one week”).
There has been a death outside China (Philippines).

A few new cases in the US (we’re up to 11). Other localities have more cases as well (Australia, Canada, Dubai, France, Taiwan, Germany)
New locations: South Vietnam, Thailand, India, Cambodia, Italy, England, Spain, Finland, Canary Islands, Russia, South Korea.

Still a lot of people that need to recover (of the current 17,485); which means it may take a little more time to calculate the exact percentage rate for infected/death.

Ive read somewhere that they don’t count as recovered until 14 days after the last positive test, but you know everything you read is factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back