• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at coronavirus 2 days later, it’s reminding me a bit of the beginning days of H1N1 so far, it’s not that deadly, but that overwhelming amount of sick people in wuhan, china with strict order and other things inflates the amounts of deaths, it’s definitely worse than a cold, but it’s not as deadly as SARS/MERS

Looking at coronavirus 2 days later, it’s reminding me a bit of the beginning days of H1N1 so far, it’s not that deadly, but that overwhelming amount of sick people in wuhan, china with strict order and other things inflates the amounts of deaths, it’s definitely worse than a cold, but it’s not as deadly as SARS/MERS
Hard to say for sure, because you can't trust the numbers coming out of China. At all. On the other hand, it is encouraging that it's not really spreading outside of China. I mean, people have caught it, but *most* of those people caught it by traveling to China.

Hard to say for sure, because you can't trust the numbers coming out of China. At all. On the other hand, it is encouraging that it's not really spreading outside of China. I mean, people have caught it, but *most* of those people caught it by traveling to China.
This was emailed to me from a friend at work:
Doesn’t look to be easing up.

Today: 17485 confirmed cases, 362 dead, 506 recovered

Recovered is finally ahead of those that died. Makes sense that the number recovered is delayed somewhat (“no fever for one week”).
There has been a death outside China (Philippines).

A few new cases in the US (we’re up to 11). Other localities have more cases as well (Australia, Canada, Dubai, France, Taiwan, Germany)
New locations: South Vietnam, Thailand, India, Cambodia, Italy, England, Spain, Finland, Canary Islands, Russia, South Korea.

Still a lot of people that need to recover (of the current 17,485); which means it may take a little more time to calculate the exact percentage rate for infected/death.

Well, checking in after a few weeks and boy, do we suck. lol. SE ridge as far as the eye can see on the GEFS. At least the PV has moved to our side of the globe! LOL. I hate to say it, and this is early even for me but I'm throwing in the towel on this winter. I'm sure something will improve in March like it always does but it'll be too little, too late like it always is for most of the southern piedmont. I don't think I've ever seen the cherry trees and plums bloom so early in late January. It seems like we've been in a normal November all winter.

I'm getting to the point where I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect below normal temperatures anymore. For whatever reason, the AO wants to be positive, the trough wants to be in the west, and ridging doesn't want to stay near the pole or Alaska. Hopefully next year that will turn around, although I don't know what will do it. Starting to try to wean myself of staring at models because it's getting less and less productive, even for the south east.

1580737517932.png

Well, checking in after a few weeks and boy, do we suck. lol. SE ridge as far as the eye can see on the GEFS. At least the PV has moved to our side of the globe! LOL. I hate to say it, and this is early even for me but I'm throwing in the towel on this winter. I'm sure something will improve in March like it always does but it'll be too little, too late like it always is for most of the southern piedmont. I don't think I've ever seen the cherry trees and plums bloom so early in late January. It seems like we've been in a normal November all winter.

I'm getting to the point where I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect below normal temperatures anymore. For whatever reason, the AO wants to be positive, the trough wants to be in the west, and ridging doesn't want to stay near the pole or Alaska. Hopefully next year that will turn around, although I don't know what will do it. Starting to try to wean myself of staring at models because it's getting less and less productive, even for the south east.

View attachment 32914

EPS the same when gets us to Feb 18th. We would have 2-3 weeks where we could legitimately see snow in central NC. When you need everything hemisphericly to flip you can imagine how this will end. #RIPwinter2020

62469C9A-5F69-4F5F-9264-46D7D51A7129.png

EPS the same when gets us to Feb 18th. We would have 2-3 weeks where we could legitimately see snow in central NC. When you need everything hemisphericly to flip you can imagine how this will end. #RIPwinter2020

View attachment 32915

Agreed, it's clear this winter that the hemispheric pattern is just wrong. It's not going to flip in the next 3 weeks. I've embraced it, I'm at peace, lol. I'm going to enjoy my 70s the next 2 weeks and make sure I take my flonase.

Another discussion though for next year is what we should look for? What's the issue here? Why can't we get a sustained winter -AO anymore?

^^ The PNA has not been our friend this winter. The -NAO has been missing for many winters now. The past few years we could at least count on the PNA to give us one winter storm (for some) and some legitimate cold spells. The LR back in the tank (..at the worst time):
jjjj.jpg

Agreed, it's clear this winter that the hemispheric pattern is just wrong. It's not going to flip in the next 3 weeks. I've embraced it, I'm at peace, lol. I'm going to enjoy my 70s the next 2 weeks and make sure I take my flonase.

Another discussion though for next year is what we should look for? What's the issue here? Why can't we get a sustained winter -AO anymore?

Well this is our 5th AN winter in a row... it's seems that getting a met winter BN is going to be few and far between, atleast for the SE. And, this isn't just using the latest 30 yr "normals", we are going to finish this winter probably +7F to +9F across the SE. My hope for future winters will be what we saw in 2018, a 7-10 day window and getting incredibly lucky...I feel very fortunate for the 3 events we did see in 2018.

I enjoyed Dec-Jan for the most part, maybe a little to wet but nighttime lows were OK, I didn't have to run my AC at night to much. I probably will start finding a different hobby than tracking winter events in the SE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back