• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought I would say this, but I'm ready for summer time, 90s, afternoon storms, etc. At least then the weather does the f what it's SUPPOSED TO DO!!

I wonder how negative this forum would be had it been around for the nonwinter of 1889-90, when ATL averaged over 54 F, which is 3+ warmer than the current winter should end up at and when the station was both further north and with no airport to warm it up so much on radiational cooling nights! So, I can only imagine how warm it would have been had there been a Hartsfield airport then. I think it easily could have been 55!

The very next winter, 1890-1 ended up 8+ colder at ~46 (near normal)! The subsequent winter, 1891-2, was at 44. Then came the cold winter of 1892-3, with 41.5 and one of the heaviest snows on record in January of 1893 with a whopping 9.6" and 10.6" for the winter! The winter after that, 1893-4 had a Fab Feb with 6"! Then came the historic winter of 1894-5, which gave KATL a record 13.2" for the winter and only 40 F for the average! This is just an illustration that it can be very dark just before things brighten up considerably.

Speaking of brightening up after the very dark winter of 1889-90, it brightened up even earlier than the subsequent winters. Whereas DJF's coldest at ATL was only down to 27, it got down to the teens twice the following month (3/2 and 3/16)! Whereas they had only 11 freezes in DJF, they had 10 in March, alone, including one day with a 30 high! 3/1-17 had 2 wintry events and was a whopping 10 BN (42), which is even colder than the coldest 17 day stretch of normals in January by 1 degree! Even way down here in SAV there were flurries in March and a coldest of 26 three different days, which is colder than the coldest at ATL in DJF of 27!

Something similar happened after the very warm winter of 1931-2, which averaged 52 and had a coldest of only down to 26, only 8 freezes, and no frozen precip. Then came March with 10 freezes/1 subfreezing high (28) and 3 lows in the teens (lowest of 15 on 3/10)! 3/1-15 had 2 measurable snows and was a whopping 10 BN (42). SAV's coldest in March was 24, which is 3 colder than the coldest at ATL of 27 in DJF.

Last edited:
The one bright spot from this ensemble run is that in 10 or so days the globals will be modeling into March and this miserable met winter will be over.

3DFF210C-7A46-48B2-99FD-405490F92E6B.png

Yep
bc4f3dc8e985053679e0f6b102925f4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Funny thing is we are going to ugly this up so bad that it might sneak something through between the 15th and 25th

At this point if we get a .5” car topper I would be pissed. I want the goose egg

I wonder how negative this forum would be had it been around for the nonwinter of 1889-90, when ATL averaged over 54 F, which is 3+ warmer than the current winter should end up at and when the station was both further north and with no airport to warm it up so much on radiational cooling nights! So, I can only imagine how warm it would have been had there been a Hartsfield airport then. I think it easily could have been 55!

The very next winter, 1890-1 ended up 8+ colder at ~46 (near normal)! The subsequent winter, 1891-2, was at 44. Then came the cold winter of 1892-3, with 41.5 and one of the heaviest snows on record in January of 1893 with a whopping 9.6" and 10.6" for the winter! The winter after that, 1893-4 had a Fab Feb with 6"! Then came the historic winter of 1894-5, which gave KATL a record 13.2" for the winter and only 40 F for the average! This is just an illustration that it can be very dark just before things brighten up considerably.

Speaking of brightening up after the very dark winter of 1889-90, it brightened up even earlier than the subsequent winters. Whereas DJF's coldest at ATL was only down to 27, it got down to the teens twice the following month (3/2 and 3/16)! Whereas they had only 11 freezes in DJF, they had 10 in March, alone, including one day with a 30 high! 3/1-17 had 2 wintry events and was a whopping 10 BN (42), which is even colder than the coldest 17 day stretch of normals in January by 1 degree! Even way down here in SAV there were flurries in March and a coldest of 26 three different days, which is colder than the coldest at ATL in DJF of 27!

Something similar happened after the very warm winter of 1931-2, which averaged 52 and had a coldest of only down to 26, only 8 freezes, and no frozen precip. Then came March with 10 freezes/1 subfreezing high (28) and 3 lows in the teens (lowest of 15 on 3/10)! 3/1-15 had 2 measurable snows and was a whopping 10 BN (42). SAV's coldest in March was 24, which is 3 colder than the coldest at ATL of 27 in DJF.
And parts of the upper south have something to track late week (albeit chance is limited)

At this point if we get a .5” car topper I would be pissed. I want the goose egg
Ha you know once you start wanting the goose egg the long range will start getting cold. In all seriousness though if there is any validity to getting the pv into the hudson bay region toward mid month this look probably gives us a low end event.

Attachments

• gfs-ens_mslpa_nhem_51.png
    gfs-ens_mslpa_nhem_51.png
    279.1 KB · Views: 27
Ha you know once you start wanting the goose egg the long range will start getting cold. In all seriousness though if there is any validity to getting the pv into the hudson bay region toward mid month this look probably gives us a low end event.
At some point before this winter is all said and done we'll find a way to get a token cold snap and flizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back