• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, here we are, Feb 1st and snowless (I'm sorry but a trace doesn't count) for the metro areas from ATL to RDU. And the pattern looks just like it has since December, CRAP! This should leave no doubt for anyone that this winter is not making some kind of miraculous comeback for the SE. The best we can hope for is a miracle to fluke our way into a storm after mid month. But can't help but hope we have an above average spring for a change. At least then it may give me some hope that the seemingly endless cycle of below average springs, below average November's and torch winters may break.
Now that's off your chest ... Netflix and chill for the evening ... ;)

RIP winter 19/20! I'm hoping for a March 2012 repeat! Will be a nice change!

I think you should change your name to "no longer snowless and happy". Maybe even make a happy puppy's pic your new avatar. :D

Well, we've just experienced a pretty wintry last 2 weeks. Finally! And today has been downright cold all day. It is way too early imo to declare RIP winter when all one can halfway reasonably see into the future is 2 weeks (via the 4 times a day movie presentations). Analogs say don't bet the farm on RIP.

But I would largely declare RIP if we assume winter ends two weeks from now. The combo of teles was historically the worst on record (from a SE cold lover's perspective) in DJF back in mid Jan. So, getting a repeat in Feb would be insane. However, they sure are making an effort to again be terrible, regardless, during the 2nd week of this month! I'm talking about the combo of AO, NAO, PNA, MJO, and AAM, which is likely leading toward a resurgence during the 2nd week in Feb of the strong and persistent SER. Whereas the MJO won't be nearly as bad, it doesn't look to be good and the other 4 are headed down the ole commode again! But at some point after we get past this 2nd commodeful of teles, that's imo when we can start looking for signs of cold finally dominating for an extensive period of time. Keep in mind that the Arctic's coldest daily normals are still over 3 weeks away! And with the predicted extremely high AO for the next 2 weeks, the Arctic is not likely to warm up appreciably, if at all, anytime soon. This may even be one of those winters where the coldest there is in March.

Welp, here we are, Feb 1st and snowless (I'm sorry but a trace doesn't count) for the metro areas from ATL to RDU. And the pattern looks just like it has since December, CRAP! This should leave no doubt for anyone that this winter is not making some kind of miraculous comeback for the SE. The best we can hope for is a miracle to fluke our way into a storm after mid month. But can't help but hope we have an above average spring for a change. At least then it may give me some hope that the seemingly endless cycle of below average springs, below average November's and torch winters may break.
We were in the same place in 2014-2015, without a single flake until mid-February IIRC, and then......

february_16-17_2015_nc_snowmap.gif

february_18_2015_nc_snowmap.png

february_24_2015_nc_snowmap.png

february_25-26_2015_nc_snowmap.png

I think you should change your name to "no longer snowless and happy". Maybe even make a happy puppy's pic your new avatar. :D

Well, we've just experienced a pretty wintry last 2 weeks. Finally! And today has been downright cold all day. It is way too early imo to declare RIP winter when all one can halfway reasonably see into the future is 2 weeks (via the 4 times a day movie presentations). Analogs say don't bet the farm on RIP.

But I would largely declare RIP if we assume winter ends two weeks from now. The combo of teles was historically the worst on record (from a SE cold lover's perspective) in DJF back in mid Jan. So, getting a repeat in Feb would be insane. However, they sure are making an effort to again be terrible, regardless, during the 2nd week of this month! I'm talking about the combo of AO, NAO, PNA, MJO, and AAM, which is likely leading toward a resurgence of the strong and persistent SER. Whereas the MJO won't be nearly as bad, it doesn't look to be good and the other 4 are headed down the ole commode again! But at some point after we get past this 2nd commodeful of teles, that's imo when we can start looking for signs of cold finally dominating for an extensive period of time. Keep in mind that the Arctic's coldest daily normals are still over 3 weeks away! And with the predicted extremely high AO for the next 2 weeks, the Arctic is not likely to warm up appreciably, if at all, anytime soon. This may even be one of those winters where the coldest there is in March.
;)

Coronavirus reminds me of the old 2003 SARS/H1N1-2009 outbreaks, question is will it get worse/it future ? It’s no Ebola/Marburg and even not as bad as SARS but it’s very similar to the common flu, it could go either way, we start slowing it down and start preventing it (like SARS) it could burn out over time, or it could just spread, like H1N1 and become a seasonal virus, it definitely something that should have attention, but no need to panic over it, it’s not no Ebola lol

We were in the same place in 2014-2015, without a single flake until mid-February IIRC, and then......

february_16-17_2015_nc_snowmap.gif

february_18_2015_nc_snowmap.png

february_24_2015_nc_snowmap.png

february_25-26_2015_nc_snowmap.png
I know! There seems to be a lack of whining since our token flakes yesterday! Just trying to keep the wamby thread lit. Temps this coming week should make this place fill up again!

did I ever win weenie of the year I was banned I think did brickhaven girl win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back