• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a break and am standing outside with an umbrella. I keep thinking the heavy raindrops are snow, but I look closer and it’s rain. It ain’t over til it’s over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting Allan Huffman reporting rn/sn mix, he is about 14 miles west of my office............ I left work early today ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

All this snow today just to get you in the mood then three weeks of 60 degree SE ridge hell. This winter sucks!!

Folks...walking out in 41 degree rain with it feels like mid 30s, even with an umbrella and bundling up, is not fun stuff.

Probably the coldest I've felt in a very long time. Congrats on the snow surprise if you got it, but I'm ready for a few 70 degree days again.

I hope to see some snow while skiing tomorrow. Today’s “event” of some sleet pellets mixed in with my rain was pretty pathetic here, although given my expectations were for nothing but rain, I guess we’ll chalk it up as a “meh!”

The shutout lives on. I need some accumulation to consider the shutout over. Besides, I didn’t see a single snowflake.

At least February isn’t looking quite as horrible patternwise all of a sudden, so maybe we can get something.....

So, let me tell y'all about something that scared the heebie jeebies out of me last night...

I was using a new hair dryer after I washed my hair, had a friend gift me a new kind from Revlon for Christmas back in December. It was a Revlon 1875 watts "fast" hair dryer. First couple times were fine, then I started smelling smoke from the hair dryer. I was confused, but continued on using it, occasionally switching to the lower speed. Then last night, I turned it on, suspiciously sniffed it, you could still smell the smoke, but went on doing my business. Either near the end where my hair was mostly to my satisfaction or shortly after that....

SNAP! There goes the fuse for that part of the house and I was in the dark in the bathroom and that back room.

For a moment I was so confused, thought the power was out in the whole house, but then saw there was still light. I was confused enough to talk to my dad late, and he acted at first that he could possibly fix it, and then said nah. Then for a while, I was worried about a house fire, but I was able to fall asleep.

Dad told me to not use that hair dryer again until he showed it to the electrician, then I looked up that model and found out I was VERY lucky. That type of hair dryer from Revlon has caused minor house fires, melted down, burned people, and has been an electrocution threat.

So, let me tell y'all about something that scared the heebie jeebies out of me last night...

I was using a new hair dryer after I washed my hair, had a friend gift me a new kind from Revlon for Christmas back in December. It was a Revlon 1875 watts "fast" hair dryer. First couple times were fine, then I started smelling smoke from the hair dryer. I was confused, but continued on using it, occasionally switching to the lower speed. Then last night, I turned it on, suspiciously sniffed it, you could still smell the smoke, but went on doing my business. Either near the end where my hair was mostly to my satisfaction or shortly after that....

SNAP! There goes the fuse for that part of the house and I was in the dark in the bathroom and that back room.

For a moment I was so confused, thought the power was out in the whole house, but then saw there was still light. I was confused enough to talk to my dad late, and he acted at first that he could possibly fix it, and then said nah. Then for a while, I was worried about a house fire, but I was able to fall asleep.

Dad told me to not use that hair dryer again until he showed it to the electrician, then I looked up that model and found out I was VERY lucky. That type of hair dryer from Revlon has caused minor house fires, melted down, burned people, and has been an electrocution threat.
How trustworthy is this “friend” that gave you the hair dryer?

How trustworthy is this “friend” that gave you the hair dryer?

I honestly don't think she knew about what I found out. Revlon is a name brand and she had been using it and it was fine at least then for her. It was mostly her trying something new in gift giving. Not going to let her know either most likely. I have another hair dryer I can use.

Whamby official announcement: Winter is over for the Tn Valley. If you see snow in late Feb or March it will be of the token variety. Extreme perturbations of the flow at our latitude just aren't happening. Okay, maybe another April 1987 will happen, but not likely. March '93? heh, I'll be in the ground turning to helldust before that storm repeats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back