• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude nobody said it wouldn't snow. But a snowstorm doesn't make or break a winter. There is virtually ZERO chance this winter as a whole finishes anything other than a torch regardless of what Feb does. I don't know what's so hard to accept about that.
False, A snow storm in the south will absolutely make or break a winter in the southeast most seasons. Take 2016 for example. Got 12 inches from one storm in January but if you take that away the winter was only decent as I got a 2+ inch storm in February of that year Also. Even up here if I get one storm of 2 inches or more it automatically makes it a decent winter in my opinion regardless of temps. Now 2 or more snows of 2+ inches is an excellent winter for the southeast imo.

Grass keeps getting greener and greener, last cold spell didn’t do much, got down to 23 but stayed cloudy and wind so no frost, may have slowed it down but man, not any major freezes or cold in next 7 days. Just crazy how green it is and some trees sprouting. Being a cold weather fan, I hate it. My little boy said, we don’t get many freezes around here do we? I told him normal low is freezing and he laughed. Just blows my mind how warm winters are getting and how fast, he was born in just a horrible time. 2010, he doesn’t really remember a good snow.? or cold that lasted.

One of the reasons why I think our winters have been terrible for the most part is because of warming of the Earth. Some may find that global warming is non-sense. It's not non-sense, the C02 levels have been rising for many of decades now. The C02 level is over 400 ppm (parts per million) and is projected to continue to rise. The global mean temperature has also been increasing as well due to an increase of C02 levels. Greater the C02, the more the globe is going to warm.

I found this website from NASA (link below) on the bottom of the page, you'll see a time series map from 1884 to 2019, you can put it in animation. The globe has no doubt warmed over the past many, many of years. You'll be surprised.

The only best time for the Southeastern US to get a good chance of snowfall is when there would be PV splits that actually do propagate downward to the surface like it did back in 2014. That winter year was the best winter year, it was classic! Due to "warming" across the Arctic, there could be an increase of PV splits.

I also wonder if the magnetic north pole shift have to do with a shift with weather patterns. Yes, the magnetic north pole has been shifting towards Siberia. Could there be a global reverse?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another thing that has made this winter terrible is our average H5 pattern we’ve fallen to these past few winters, @KyloG has the average H5 map if I’m not mistaken but we’re now dealing with a more average pattern that has a suppressed GOA/Aleutian ridge, -PNA, east coast ridge/SER, BN heights around the 50/50 area, and mainly a +NAO, ofc we don’t see this all winter and we currently don’t have this pattern now, but it’s been repeated to the point where it’s becoming more of a average H5 pattern we deal with, other things like the MJO probably has effected this aswell

Not many years ago we could get a snow with a average patter. Now it takes every little thing to go perfect absolutely perfect to get it just cold enough for snow. And to get that perfect pattern and precipitation to come together is hard. Green grass and trees budding in mid January, if you would have told me that not long ago that this would even be possible, I would have called you crazy. Never have I heard lawn mowers in January mowing grass, first time for me and I’m sure there will be may more new first.

00z Euro just slammed the door on winter ??

Guys, it’s over. I’ve never been so sure of anything
Ok if you're sure of it as you state, then there is no need in you coming in here to continually discuss winter weather. See you in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back