• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing to add so far today. I havent bought into the cold and still think the 12Z GEFS is full of poop too. How do we get deep cold with every single tele in the Arctic positive with no sign of that changing? Average, wet and zonal. Maybe we'll pull a miracle and get a storm. But probably not.

As for Feb well I don't know yet. Recent history tells me to forget about it, especially if we go into it with the MJO headed warm and strong consolidated tPV still. And here come the eternal optimists calling this ridiculous in 3,2,1....

But wait, there’s more ? we’re just getting started View attachment 31179

Looks good for me.

giphy.gif

I have nothing to add so far today. I havent bought into the cold and still think the 12Z GEFS is full of poop too. How do we get deep cold with every single tele in the Arctic positive with no sign of that changing? Average, wet and zonal. Maybe we'll pull a miracle and get a storm. But probably not.

As for Feb well I don't know yet. Recent history tells me to forget about it, especially if we go into it with the MJO headed warm and strong consolidated tPV still. And here come the eternal optimists calling this ridiculous in 3,2,1....
We can still get cold with a -EPO, but it seems to have abandoned us this year too.

We can still get cold with a -EPO, but it seems to have abandoned us this year too.
Yep. Hopefully it doesn't decide to go on a decade long hiatus with the NAO. I really don't know how regardless of ENSO, QBO, SSWE's, low solar, MJO phase etc it stays positve. Something has to be causing it. If the EPO abandons ship we won't even be able to get a storm to track much less actually get one. We're already closing in on 14 months.

Just going to make it even sweeter when we get the snow at the end of the month.

Yep. Hopefully it doesn't decide to go on a decade long hiatus with the NAO. I really don't know how regardless of ENSO, QBO, SSWE's, low solar, MJO phase etc it stays positve. Something has to be causing it. If the EPO abandons ship we won't even be able to get a storm to track much less actually get one. We're already closing in on 14 months.
It's like I've said, I really don't think we understand nearly as much as we think we do about this stuff and how it all works together. I don't mean to say we shouldn't try. But next year, when I hear someone talking about rooting for an easterly QBO or a weakening of an IOD or hoping we stay away from a -MVP, I'm just going to laugh internally and forecast warmth for the eastern US.

I will admit I started to get bought into it, but i just knew the other shoe was going to drop somewhere. Now it's almost comical in a way to keep watching the neg epo vanish inside 240.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back