• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

When Alaska is cold, we are drinking cold beers on the porch while watching steaks cook on the grill in shorts???
True but I’m fine with Alaska building up plenty of snow pack and cold air in November… that’s a source region for us.

True but I’m fine with Alaska building up plenty of snow pack and cold air in November… that’s a source region for us.
Yeah, but you remember that one winter back in 18 or 19, they stayed cold 98% of the winter and snowy and the SE winter was turrible. Everybody thought it would have to send some our way at some point, I’m not sure it ever did! It was so traumatizing, I may have my years mixed up , but it sucked waiting on the cold

Yeah, but you remember that one winter back in 18 or 19, they stayed cold 98% of the winter and snowy and the SE winter was turrible. Everybody thought it would have to send some our way at some point, I’m not sure it ever did! It was so traumatizing, I may have my years mixed up , but it sucked waiting on the cold
Even still, I will always prefer to get cold air to build up in the source regions on this side of the globe, so that we’re not having to depend on a cross polar flow to get it from Siberia

When Alaska is warm, get ready down here!!
Agreed, but like I said you want to see cold air building up in Alaska so that there is some available. Remember late December 2021 when the east was absolutely torching…I went most of the last week of the month without going below 55 for lows. There was plenty of cold air building up in Alaska and NW Canada so that when the pattern finally shifted, there was something to tap into…a lot of us ended up with a fairly good January 2022. My area had 3 straight weekends with a 1”+ snowfall.

Agreed, but like I said you want to see cold air building up in Alaska so that there is some available. Remember late December 2021 when the east was absolutely torching…I went most of the last week of the month without going below 55 for lows. There was plenty of cold air building up in Alaska and NW Canada so that when the pattern finally shifted, there was something to tap into…a lot of us ended up with a fairly good January 2022. My area had 3 straight weekends with a 1”+ snowfall.

We shall see but it definitely looks warm for December. If it follows your typical niño, then I guess mid Jan on will be our best opportunity. The -AAM atmosphere is interesting. I just hope for a two week opportunity at winter storm

Last time I looked Barrow, Nome, Fairbanks were all above normal temperatures.

Same for Siberia locations such as Yakutsk, Khatanga, Magadan,

We shall see but it definitely looks warm for December. If it follows your typical niño, then I guess mid Jan on will be our best opportunity. The -AAM atmosphere is interesting. I just hope for a two week opportunity at winter storm
There is no such thing as a cold December. I think the last 12 December's have been above normal in Atlanta. Although last December was only slightly above normal. It's been a long time since we've had a cold December.

Snow on the road at Virginia/West Virginia line on rt 250 per VDOT webcam.

511Virginia.org

Man this place is completely depressing. I'm about done with El Nino and La Nina. Who do we have to bribe to give a La Nada a try?

Man this place is completely depressing. I'm about done with El Nino and La Nina. Who do we have to bribe to give a La Nada a try?
That doesn't work either. ENSO isn't driving the pattern primarily anymore, the way it's often presented.

That doesn't work either. ENSO isn't driving the pattern primarily anymore, the way it's often presented.
Pretty soon we are going to be stuck talking about the "glory days" when it used to actually freeze and snow once in awhile. ?

Wait a minute... aren't we already doing that...?

Here we go, need some of this!

1699643034391.png

1699643085518.png

1699643311209.png

?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back