• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

RDU averaged more than 10" once every 3 years or so from 1887-2004, but since then hasn't had 10" total once in a winter. Our median has dropped from around 7 inches in 1961-1990 to ~2.5 inches in 1991-2020. Things just don't work like they used to.
Yup. It's unfortunate. It may be cyclical; it may not be. IDK and I'm not sure it matters anyway. Either way, we're in a down cycle right now; there's not much one could say to refute that. I don't care how much cold and snow they get in the midwest or plains. Right here, it has not been very good. The trajectory of everything is to the northeast and the cold has a very difficult time getting east of the Apps, more times than not.

Also, I agree with some of the above around long range winter storms. A legit pattern produces fantasy storms. I do not believe the lack of long range winter storm images is because the models are better. Maybe a little, but that's not the reason. I don't even think the DGEX would do well to bring the goods this day and age.

RDU averaged more than 10" once every 3 years or so from 1887-2004, but since then hasn't had 10" total once in a winter. Our median has dropped from around 7 inches in 1961-1990 to ~2.5 inches in 1991-2020. Things just don't work like they used to.

I'm surprised our median dropped that much...our 30yr avg is still 5" but dropping fast. AVG did drop from the 1920's to the 1950's from 9" to 6". But then recovered from the 50's to the 80's back up to almost 9" but it's plummeting like a rock since. So yeah, hopefully this is just cyclical but we are kind of at that point where it should rebound if it was cyclical and it's clearly not.

Seems like we are on the path to have the snow climate of the Panhandle...where it ironically snowed this week. ?‍♂️

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 1.16.09 PM.png

I'm surprised our median dropped that much...our 30yr avg is still 5" but dropping fast. AVG did drop from the 1920's to the 1950's from 9" to 6". But then recovered from the 50's to the 80's back up to almost 9" but it's plummeting like a rock since. So yeah, hopefully this is just cyclical but we are kind of at that point where it should rebound if it was cyclical and it's clearly not.

Seems like we are on the path to have the snow climate of the Panhandle...where it ironically snowed this week.

View attachment 142832

Once the crusher drops off it's gonna plummet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do see where Charlotte would be a better place to live for snow than Raleigh in most cases. I wasn't in Raleigh long enough to know for sure but I would imagine the warm nose gets pulled in pretty easily there.

Once the crusher drops off it's gonna plummet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but the awful 90’s will roll off too. 2001-2014 was fairly solid. I will check to see what our 2001-2023 avg is.

We should do a poll to see who wins the Winter 2023-2024 Variable or Idea Of The Year award:

Previous winners include:

NAO/AO
ENSO
SAI
Apps Runner
PDO
Solar
Polar Vortex
QBO
Verbatim
Strat Warming
MJO
Mountain Torque

Nominees:

Snowpack
Jet Extension/Retraction
It Just Doesn't Work Like It Used To

We should do a poll to see who wins the Winter 2023-2024 Variable or Idea Of The Year award:

NAO/AO
ENSO
SAI
Apps Runner
PDO
Solar
Polar Vortex
QBO
Verbatim
Strat Warming
MJO
Mountain Torque

Nominees:

Snowpack
Jet Extension/Retraction
It Just Doesn't Work Like It Used To
I don't see Aliens on the list. Please add. Thanks

NAO/AO
ENSO
SAI
Apps Runner
PDO
Solar
Polar Vortex
QBO
Verbatim
Strat Warming
MJO