• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

We punt.

I am starting to think that when it comes to snow...nino's are for suckers.

View attachment 142803
Bingo. La Niña all day every day. If you can occasionally pop a favorable PNA with an active northern stream you ALWAYS have a chance at something no matter how progressive the pattern.

Careful, we are wrong for speaking the truth. I expect Allan's forecasting ability to be put into question today, from that post.
Haha yep...this is pretty bad and to get out of this mess will take time. Which I was hoping by mid-Feb we could see a better pattern materialize but that's strictly hope, I have nothing that gives me confidence it will.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-6400000.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-6832000.png

Haha yep...this is pretty bad and to get out of this mess will take time. Which I was hoping by mid-Feb we could see a better pattern materialize but that's strictly hope, I have nothing that gives me confidence it will.

View attachment 142806

View attachment 142805
At least with a look like this it’s over for everybody and not just the Southeast. I think that’s a consolation prize I’m willing to accept at this point.

View attachment 142806

View attachment 142805

My initial thoughts of Feb 8 - 15 are pretty much toast now (pun intended.)

Which sucks because in my area, that is climo for snow events. :(

Really feels like in the past 7 or 8 years winter (in terms of snow chances) has turned into about a month long stretch for the Piedmont/central Carolinas. Starting right after Christmas and continuing to late January. Outside of that you can get seasonal at best, with a few minor exceptions.

Gone are the days of snow averages being highest in Feb. I often see a stat thrown around later in the season that March 2 is actually Charlotte's snowiest day on record. Once you start seeing that and hearing about March 1960 that's how you know it's over.

That said, I've come to peace with it. I grew up in Columbia, that hardens a snow weenie ?. It's still not impossible for snow here, just rarer. And at least I only live a few hours from the mountains where you can still find snow chances throughout the entire season. Maybe one year things will turn around

I wonder if these temperatures shown on modeling for Canada is going to melt all the snow. If that's the case, I guess we won't have a snow pack to the north to tap into.

Dang it.

Most every met was on the 'nino best in feb, back loaded winter' train this year. There is time for things to change but this week's long look just keeps reverifying itself.

Most every met was on the 'nino best in feb, back loaded winter' train this year. There is time for things to change but this week's long look just keeps reverifying itself.

We were supposed to get the snowy pattern from the end of January through at least middle February.
I don't understand why the end of January models are showing so warm as we get closer..
Dang.

Because things don’t work like they used to.
It's almost like the reason the epic fantasy snowstorms no longer show on long-range modelings is because they've been upgraded and improved so well over the years.

If they can fix that part, why can't they fix the part that shows colder temperatures than we get in the long range? :(

It's a commercial energy company forecasting conspiracy!

It's almost like the reason the epic fantasy snowstorms no longer show on long-range modelings is because they've been upgraded and improved so well over the years.

If they can fix that part, why can't they fix the part that shows colder temperatures than we get in the long range? :(

It's a commercial energy company forecasting conspiracy!
Well that takes the fun out of it. I enjoy the epic fantasy snowstorms.

Really feels like in the past 7 or 8 years winter (in terms of snow chances) has turned into about a month long stretch for the Piedmont/central Carolinas. Starting right after Christmas and continuing to late January. Outside of that you can get seasonal at best, with a few minor exceptions.

Gone are the days of snow averages being highest in Feb. I often see a stat thrown around later in the season that March 2 is actually Charlotte's snowiest day on record. Once you start seeing that and hearing about March 1960 that's how you know it's over.

That said, I've come to peace with it. I grew up in Columbia, that hardens a snow weenie ?. It's still not impossible for snow here, just rarer. And at least I only live a few hours from the mountains where you can still find snow chances throughout the entire season. Maybe one year things will turn around
I feel ya. Born & raised here also. I miss the Winters where we at least got a minor event every Winter. I feel like at minimum we'd atleast get a Winter weather advisory or Freezing rain advisory every Winter (at least in the 32 years of me living).

Back