• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Ok, so I was curious as to whether or not many folks in the area should be legitimately frustrated with the lack of winter weather. Is it really as bad as we think it is, or does the fish story grow bigger with each telling? So I went to Raleigh's Past Events page and took a look. These are NC specific, but you can probably mentally extrapolate to other areas of the SE and derive a reasonable picture of an event's impact. I have added my subjective grading for the winter. Also, it may be that RAH didn't list everything, although they do a pretty good job capturing these events. If there is something missing, let me know.

2022 (D): 1 winter storm on 1/15-16 (eastern sections saw very little)

2021 (F): None listed

2020 (F): None listed

2019 (D):
  • A good winter storm on 12/9/2018 for areas west to east north of Raleigh. Very little for southern areas
  • One minor ice storm listed on 1/13
2018 (B):
  • 1 mountain and mainly foothills event on 12/8-9/2017
  • Several small and a couple of good snow events, the biggest of which occurred on 1/17-18 with very little south of the state
2017 (F): None listed

2016 (D): 1 event on 1/22-23, where the entire state saw snow and sleet. 2" or more was confined to the western half of the state with good totals for the mountains.

2015 (B-): Several small events with two moderate events, the biggest of which was a nice snow for the northern and western part of the state. B- for multiple events

2014 (A): Multiple events, the biggest of which was significant snow and ice on 2/12-13. It was a good winter for NC.

2013 (F): 4 minor events listed

2012 (F): 1 minor event listed on 2/19

2011 (A+): Several events listed with with the infamous Christmas storm of 2010 topping the list

2010 (B+): Quite a few moderate to small events, including one pretty widespread snow event on 2/12-13

2009 (C+): 2 events listed with 1/20 showing the highest totals in central/eastern NC

2008 (NA): It looks like 3 events listed, but they won't pull up.

So, out of the last 15 years, it looks like we've had 5, maybe 6 decent winters in NC. By decent, I mean a good number of events with snowfall NOT confined to just one specific area.

The last one was 2018, unless you lived in the mountains last year. This is all predicated on the fact that RAH has listed everything of note.

My conclusion is that over the last 5 years or so, many in the SE have not had very much to cheer about. There is no list of storms that almost happened but didn't. But my suspicion is that there hasn't been very much to even track over the last few years, which is very disappointing....to me at least.
There are some missing events here though but doubt it changes the core of your post. But Jan. 21-22/2022 saw 3"-5" from Rah to R. Mount, some 6+ in NE NC.
Not sure how they don't have anything for 2021, Jan. 27-28/2021 saw 1"-5" from Rah NE, with the heaviest stripe north of Raleigh (there were a few other minor/nuisance events)
2020 none listed but this occurred
february_20-21_2020_nc_snowmap.png

Not being argumentative at all but there were some missed events, might be others but that's the extent of my research lol

Yeah but if no snow is the breaking point then we got serious problems. Maybe we need a vaccine to help with the trauma. Specially since it aint nevva gona snow again. D??MED we are. ☢️????‍?️....?

It’s amazing that even though are not a lot of high mountains to the north and west of Atlanta, arctic air often struggles to make much progress. You would think there are 5,000’+ mountains blocking the cold air.
I would argue it’s the wideness of the Cumberland plateau that does the damage.

I am convinced snow weenies have a deep-rooted need for being let down.

There are some missing events here though but doubt it changes the core of your post. But Jan. 21-22/2022 saw 3"-5" from Rah to R. Mount, some 6+ in NE NC.
Not sure how they don't have anything for 2021, Jan. 27-28/2021 saw 1"-5" from Rah NE, with the heaviest stripe north of Raleigh (there were a few other minor/nuisance events)
2020 none listed but this occurred
february_20-21_2020_nc_snowmap.png

Not being argumentative at all but there were some missed events, might be others but that's the extent of my research lol

CyclonicFury posted this yesterday. For Raleigh to go back to back winters with no measurable snow is fairly "rare"...but so is NYC going 700 days without 1" of snow in a day. So maybe we are due...it looks bleak...the past decade of Februarys have really sucked.

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 5.10.22 PM.png

Back