• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Theirs is nothing enjoyable about clear and 31 mid noon right now. It’s absolutely miserable to be outside in this and I thank
God I’m not working outdoors right now. I feel for the people that are. Bring on the 60s and 70s baby
Speak for yourself fro, I think it is GORGEOUS out there today. Cool and crisp but with full sun very tolerable. I wish I had the day off to be out hiking or something. Only thing missing is some snow on the ground!

Ok, so I was curious as to whether or not many folks in the area should be legitimately frustrated with the lack of winter weather. Is it really as bad as we think it is, or does the fish story grow bigger with each telling? So I went to Raleigh's Past Events page and took a look. These are NC specific, but you can probably mentally extrapolate to other areas of the SE and derive a reasonable picture of an event's impact. I have added my subjective grading for the winter. Also, it may be that RAH didn't list everything, although they do a pretty good job capturing these events. If there is something missing, let me know.

2022 (D): 1 winter storm on 1/15-16 (eastern sections saw very little)

2021 (F): None listed

2020 (F): None listed

2019 (D):
  • A good winter storm on 12/9/2018 for areas west to east north of Raleigh. Very little for southern areas
  • One minor ice storm listed on 1/13
2018 (B):
  • 1 mountain and mainly foothills event on 12/8-9/2017
  • Several small and a couple of good snow events, the biggest of which occurred on 1/17-18 with very little south of the state
2017 (F): None listed

2016 (D): 1 event on 1/22-23, where the entire state saw snow and sleet. 2" or more was confined to the western half of the state with good totals for the mountains.

2015 (B-): Several small events with two moderate events, the biggest of which was a nice snow for the northern and western part of the state. B- for multiple events

2014 (A): Multiple events, the biggest of which was significant snow and ice on 2/12-13. It was a good winter for NC.

2013 (F): 4 minor events listed

2012 (F): 1 minor event listed on 2/19

2011 (A+): Several events listed with with the infamous Christmas storm of 2010 topping the list

2010 (B+): Quite a few moderate to small events, including one pretty widespread snow event on 2/12-13

2009 (C+): 2 events listed with 1/20 showing the highest totals in central/eastern NC

2008 (NA): It looks like 3 events listed, but they won't pull up.

So, out of the last 15 years, it looks like we've had 5, maybe 6 decent winters in NC. By decent, I mean a good number of events with snowfall NOT confined to just one specific area.

The last one was 2018, unless you lived in the mountains last year. This is all predicated on the fact that RAH has listed everything of note.

My conclusion is that over the last 5 years or so, many in the SE have not had very much to cheer about. There is no list of storms that almost happened but didn't. But my suspicion is that there hasn't been very much to even track over the last few years, which is very disappointing....to me at least.
Great post.

I honestly think we are all just pissed off because last Winter as a whole was non existent. There wasn't even a threat to track. We couldn't even buy a fantasy run on the GFS (only time we did was the several days leading up to the Arctic blast in Dec 2022). We haven't had anything in all the Carolinas that is considered even a moderate event since January of 2022.

Going an entire Winter without anything, especially in North Carolina, is absolutely ridiculous.. But here we are.

I think the icing on the cake is watching the same set up 3 out of the last 4 Winters hit areas to our West. It's almost like the weather has forgot how to line up things in the Carolinas & GA. But there I am, getting emotion involved into something me or anyone has any control over.

Let's just hope we reel a huge one in soon.

I think it's safe to acknowledge that the climate is warming and speculate that it probably negatively affects the ease of which marginal areas like ours get snow. It's already hard to snow here. It doesn't take a whole bunch of brain power to deduce that a warmer climate is not going to help us. We can do this without getting into a debate about the cause of the warming and without calling each other clowns like Brick likes to do.
Then tell those that keep reacting to my posts with the clown emojis to do the same. Or maybe just get rid of it all together. And not allowing people to troll me by using my avatar would be nice, too.

Then tell those that keep reacting to my posts with the clown emojis to do the same. Or maybe just get rid of it all together. And not allowing people to troll me by using my avatar would be nice, too.
You are perfectly free to use the post reactions at your discretion. And you don't have a trademark on avatar images. And you had changed your avatar to another image, prior to someone using your current image, which you are now using again. And you also changed your user name before changing it back before changing it back before changing it back. From what I'm seeing, I'm not sure other posters are the problem here.

You are perfectly free to use the post reactions at your discretion. And you don't have a trademark on avatar images. And you had changed your avatar to another image, prior to someone using your current image, which you are now using again. And you also changed your user name before changing it back before changing it back before changing it back. From what I'm seeing, I'm not sure other posters are the problem here.
Wrong. Lick changed the avatar to mine when I was still using it. It's trolling and you know it.

screaming-screaming-man.gif

Back