• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Well, just booked my mid/late February ski trip to Sugar Mountain. I never book this early because I like to plan around the weather but with kids and a family and such you take what you can get.

Hang tight. Jimmy gonna flip the pattern back. Y’all just wait ☃️

I understand the need to alert people for cold but I have never seen so much grandstanding from WYFF. It's been nothing but "extreme and bitter and dangerous cold" on their website for days and we just now went below freezing for the first time. The lowest for the upstate is forecast at mid teens. Yes it's cold but not nearly as cold as last Christmas and nothing compared to the rest if the south. The over hype is a bit much. If we were going lower single digits or were experiencing what other area are it would make sense.

Well, just booked my mid/late February ski trip to Sugar Mountain. I never book this early because I like to plan around the weather but with kids and a family and such you take what you can get.

I’m going up weekend of Jan 27th. Expecting 70s and moguls made of pollen

I understand the need to alert people for cold but I have never seen so much grandstanding from WYFF. It's been nothing but "extreme and bitter and dangerous cold" on their website for days and we just now went below freezing for the first time. The lowest for the upstate is forecast at mid teens. Yes it's cold but not nearly as cold as last Christmas and nothing compared to the rest if the south. The over hype is a bit much. If we were going lower single digits or were experiencing what other area are it would make sense.
You know why. Clicks and ads before the media ship as we know it sinks.

I admittedly have not been to sugar in years. I knew they put the six pack in, but I had no idea they had two other detachable quads there now. Since being in Atlanta for the better part of 24 years, including the 6 in hell (Cola, SC), my motto was to always buy a pass at Cataloochee because of their commitment to snowmaking. With it being it being over 5 hours to Sugar and Beech, most around here just opt for the 2.5-3 hour flights to Colorado, or just keep driving to Snowshoe. I miss Beech and Sugar, I spent a lot of my teen years hanging around Avery county.

I'm going to stop by Cat tomorrow for a few hours before continuing on to Durham, should be fabulously cold. I'll take a pic or two. I'm back for ski patrol there this weekend.

Last edited:
The snow drought in central North Carolina continues. There hasn't been any measurable snow at KRDU since January 29, 2022, I'm pretty sure this drought is now longer than the 2005-07 one. Going two straight winters with no measurable snow wouldn't be unprecedented, it happened in 1990-91 and 1991-92, as well as 1948-49 and 1949-50.

I'd take a half-inch of sleet at this point, it would be better than nothing!
Wait so it’s happened before ? That sounds like things are like what they used to be to me!

I’m with you. Mid teens is cold but acting like it’s a 1,000 year event every time it happens is aggravating. Anything in the single digits is worth a bit of hype but this crap is just dollar general brand cold imo especially when you consider what the rest of the country is experiencing.

Last edited:
Back