• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

2010/2011 is still the best winter for me. Literally the only winter in the last 20 years where I got two snows over 1 inch, (xmas storm 2 inches, and january 5.75 inches). But also just seemed like week after week we had an excellent threats to track.

2014/2015 was the same way with threats, but only one panned out for me and even that one was an epic bust here, (forecasted for 8-12 inches and got 2.5 inches of sleet, literally every direction from my house got much more than that, including due South of me from a fronto band that never made it here). There was several legit threats in March that year too that just barely missed due to boundary layer issues.

Call me the new doncane but this time it’ll happen

Just need a few more trends but yeah.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_64.png

There’s talk of school cancellations here this week due to the frigid Alabama/Shreveport Arctic airmass leftovers we’ll be getting here in the Carolinas. It’s probably wise to go ahead and use the snow days up since we won’t actually need them for snow this year.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush I guess. Take the days while you have a half reasonable excuse. Will be in the 70s before long and those snow days will be left on the shelf collecting dust (pollen).

There was also this initial disturbance the day before that jackpotted eastern NC. It sure feels like Raleigh gets screwed in all directions and has paid dearly for the January 2000 jackpot, of which I was not here for either.

View attachment 142698
Jackpotted 00 with 21 inches in western Lee county then 02 with 13 and the smaller events of November of 00 and the random event of 98. Haven't been close to a jackpot zone since. This is a fickle game we play

The snow drought in central North Carolina continues. There hasn't been any measurable snow at KRDU since January 29, 2022, I'm pretty sure this drought is now longer than the 2005-07 one. Going two straight winters with no measurable snow wouldn't be unprecedented, it happened in 1990-91 and 1991-92, as well as 1948-49 and 1949-50.

I'd take a half-inch of sleet at this point, it would be better than nothing!

Back