• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a major ice storm in Atlanta tonight. Get ready folks. Power outages on the way.
The advisory says a glaze which is not that much. Won't take much for the roads to get icy if the 28 degree low holds up though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a major ice storm in Atlanta tonight. Get ready folks. Power outages on the way.

I don’t know about all that. Some slick spots, sure. Glaze in the trees maybe. But a “major” ice storm? We’re not suddenly going to increase from .02 to .25. It’d be one heck of a surprise. And even .25 isn’t a “major” ice storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about all that. Some slick spots, sure. Glaze in the trees maybe. But a “major” ice storm? We’re not suddenly going to increase from .02 to .25. It’d be one heck of a surprise. And even .25 isn’t a “major” ice storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this could be the biggest ice event in Atlanta in the last 5 years

this could be the biggest ice event in Atlanta in the last 5 years
lol, once again, nicely done. The punch is that Atlanta hasn’t had any ice events in at least a decade, so a slight glaze on the deck makes this statement factually true as ridiculous as it is. I’ve never experienced any icing here from a nw flow cold air advection, so any icing would be a first. Our ice has always come from a strong CAD setup.

While the Carolinas are sunbathing, most of the US is enjoying proper winter
3174b1d4e108dd87b7c8d83101cc9d34.jpg

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

This ridge is no joke. 585dm reaching into the Carolinas. Already 20F anoms showing up. GFS shows our ceiling with this warm up as well, maybe a 80 in ENC. nighttime lows in the 50s and 60s is going to destroy any departures.
Welcoming this with open arms. It’s been a while since it’s been in the 70s. 70 degree days is the perfect days.
B039C083-CBB0-4C11-B254-70A9EC0D62CB.png3B2C5E7F-4C0F-4847-92CE-D589E8B4E102.png79064FB1-E742-463F-8608-F0C6ACB31BE1.png36ADA06B-B4D6-4FB9-B623-7B5DBA3DC65C.png

This ridge is no joke. 585dm reaching into the Carolinas. Already 20F anoms showing up. GFS shows our ceiling with this warm up as well, maybe a 80 in ENC. nighttime lows in the 50s and 60s is going to destroy any departures.
Welcoming this with open arms. It’s been a while since it’s been in the 70s. 70 degree days is the perfect days.
View attachment 142558View attachment 142559View attachment 142560View attachment 142561
Good. It's not going to snow when it's cold enough for it so might as well be warm.

It's amazing how snow, and the lack of it can make grown-ups act like children. And I'm just as bad as anyone on here. I'll be miserable all week at work freezing looking at bare ground here, and probably at some point have to go to Knoxville. I haven't been over there in over 2 weeks but it's common for me to usually go at least twice a week. So I guarantee you this week I'll be sent there multiple times to look at their snow. Which will suck. But I'll suck it up and do it because I have a job to do and money to make. Also the more money I make the quicker I can move from this cursed place.

I must say that when i lived in Indiana I did not enjoy snow as much. We got so many 1-3" type events that it took a really big snow to excite me.

I must say that when i lived in Indiana I did not enjoy snow as much. We got so many 1-3" type events that it took a really big snow to excite me.
While I've never lived up north, I did drive up north all winter long for 6 years. I did get annoyed with it at times driving. But never got tired of seeing it. So when the day comes that it's time to try living up there I really don't think I'll regret it,.especially when I won't have to go to work.

While I've never lived up north, I did drive up north all winter long for 6 years. I did get annoyed with it at times driving. But never got tired of seeing it. So when the day comes that it's time to try living up there I really don't think I'll regret it,.especially when I won't have to go to work.
What I observed in my time in the midwest was they get a lot of small snow events but not many big dogs like the east coast gets sometimes. This is for Indiana and Ohio mainly away from the lakes.

What I observed in my time in the midwest was they get a lot of small snow events but not many big dogs like the east coast gets sometimes. This is for Indiana and Ohio mainly away from the lakes.
Yes that is correct. The biggest snows I saw away from the lake belts were on the east coast north of Virginia of course, and out west in the Rockies. Especially around Donner Pass. But the upper Midwest does get all out blizzards. But I have noticed they're more in early winter and again in early spring. Mid winter is just usually cold with clipper systems.

Back