• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Just do what I do. Remain negative for winter weather here even when things look good. Don't ever believe it until maybe 48 hrs out and even then you better have every model on your side. If not the one showing no snow will be right, no matter which one it is. I get a lot of hate on here for being realistic. But I'm not on here losing my mind today. You know why? Because it's not surprising at all to me and I expected it to happen. Just like Feb 2021, Dec 2022 and now this. That's 3 out of the last 4 legit cold patterns that didn't get here. Jan 22 was the only one that did. While Feb may look ok at the moment, something will ruin it. We can already see talks of the Pac jet extending too much. Expect that to happen and you won't be surprised when it doesn't.

Ever notice when a snow event happens people say "biggest flakes I've ever seen".
I don't understand.
Bigger snowflakes typically mean more melting/wetter snow flakes. They must hate snow and be happy about the limited ratios/totals they are receiving and the fact they are probably going to flip over to rain.

Here are temp projections for 18z today from last Tuesday 1/9 00z, all globals. I'd say the GFS was the closest, with ICON second.

Icon
1705352815609.png

GFS
1705352880997.png

GEM ?
1705352911490.png

Euro
1705352984717.png

Bigger snowflakes typically mean more melting/wetter snow flakes. They must hate snow and be happy about the limited ratios/totals they are receiving and the fact they are probably going to flip over to rain.
True. I just find it odd it's always the "biggest" even if they're tiny. I think it's a symptom of snow withdrawal.

I feel an Ice Storm in parts of Atlanta Metro late tonight, tomorrow.
I feel temps hovering around 50 at midnight, then approaching the low 40s by tomorrow morning with nothing more then some passing drizzle. Temps will stay and hover around 40, then stay higher then forecasted tomorrow night into the low 20s.

I feel temps hovering around 50 at midnight, then approaching the low 40s by tomorrow morning with nothing more then some passing drizzle. Temps will stay and hover around 40, then stay higher then forecasted tomorrow night into the low 20s.
We will see how this ages for you?

Back