• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I don't know, I'm not knowledgeable enough about the synoptics of why, but next weeks system looks too progressive to me still. For east of the apps, I hate leaning on a late blooming system, looks more like a cold front to me.

Real deal seems like next weekend. Hoping it can find some amp with great cold in place. Does remind me of Jan 22 like Fro mentioned, with everything wanting to whiff to our south, then just enough amp to scrape us last minute.

Hope we can score something good in the next two weeks. Never know how many legit chances we're going to get after that.
Yep. the farther in the season we go, the more we'll have to pin our hopes on one/two storm. I would rather see many small events, than one big winter storm (like 93). In the latter case, there was a lot of very happy people; but just as many that were disappointed. I like the current model runs. They give hope to a wide range of people on this board.

Yep. the farther in the season we go, the more we'll have to pin our hopes on one/two storm. I would rather see many small events, than one big winter storm (like 93). In the latter case, there was a lot of very happy people; but just as many that were disappointed. I like the current model runs. They give hope to a wide range of people on this board.
I agree with y'all and I never like to give up when we have this kind of -NAO. Statistically, we found that for RDU El Nino years with -NAO produce the most 1"+ snow days at RDU so you really hate to see an opportunity so tantalizingly close not work out, but all the more reason to keep the microscope on it until we're for sure it won't work out. Long way before that with this first opportunity IMO!

My area does much better with solid cold levels already in place versus timing from cold delivery from the northwest. I can almost guarantee the cold will not make it far enough southeast to produce snow, sleet or freezing rain. It will just be plain ole rain in Atlanta south. Alpharetta, White and Gainesville, GA and points northwest might be cold enough. Out west near Buchanan, Dallas to Kennesaw will have a shot, too. They have some elevation to help them. Everyone else in GA can start looking to the 20th for another possible chance (though the 0z Euro said it will be a cutter).
Agreed, though I think anywhere east and south of Lookout mountain outside of elevation is out of this one for our area. Monday now looks to be in the mid to high 50s with the cold not coming in until Tuesday later. I really hope our friends to the north and west can get some nice amounts out of this. I would feel really good if I were on the Cumberland Plateau or Signal Mountain in Tennessee.

Agreed, though I think anywhere east and south of Lookout mountain outside of elevation is out of this one for our area. Monday now looks to be in the mid to high 50s with the cold not coming in until Tuesday later. I really hope our friends to the north and west can get some nice amounts out of this. I would feel really good if I were on the Cumberland Plateau or Signal Mountain in Tennessee.
Agreed. The southeast shifts are done now. This one is almost baked. I like Nashville, TN or Monteagle for observation but I'm probably not going to chase this one. Chips are all in for first week in February. If I miss all chances, after first week if February, I'm hitting the roads to find snow. It's been too long!

Btw, depending on where exactly the lake effect snow band sets up Sunday, that Bills game could be fun to watch! As long as they don't move it which the NFL has said they will not do
shouldn't move. i think the line is "generational lake effect event", which this is not.

i have other thoughts on the kc game. i think the nfl is being a bit risky still having the game in these sorts of temperatures, but i don't know what the alternative would be. at the very least i'm betting toney's total receptions under lol

shouldn't move. i think the line is "generational lake effect event", which this is not.

i have other thoughts on the kc game. i think the nfl is being a bit risky still having the game in these sorts of temperatures, but i don't know what the alternative would be. at the very least i'm betting toney's total receptions under lol
You cant move it to Dallas or Houston because they both have home games. You maybe could move it to New Orleans but that isnt exactly fair to the chiefs. No idea what the answer is there.

I mean they played the AFC Championship game in Cincinnati one year with wind chills -50 to -60. There have certainly been a number of games played in Green Bay and Chicago over the years with similar temperatures. It is a little unusual to see it in KC though.

Back