• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

For better or worse, times have changed. Yes, there was some questionable moderation on the SE forum on American that many (including me) were not happy with. I came over here, where there's quite an adjustment with folks spread out more. What gives Alabama snow may not be what I'm rooting for in central NC.

As far as the moderation and atmosphere. I'm like you in that I'm here more for the education and sharing information about this hobby that I enjoy. As you alluded to, many are here for the social aspects and lighthearted fun. The same one-liners with no substance from some members that don't ever offer anything of importance definitely grates on my nerves as well as others (paging @SD). I'm usually one of the most heavy-handed when it comes to moderating and giving out warnings/bans. However, with so few people posting, I haven't worried too much about it this season so far. There's banter in every thread right now. If we get a big storm and more traffic in here, I'm sure we will moderate things more closely.

I feel like around the time this website was created, many meteorologists started really building up their followings on twitter, facebook, etc... where they have more control and have the ability to monetize their content. Just like in many other special interests and hobbies, message board websites are dying off because of social media.
Buckeyefan1???

We cookin
gfs_asnowd_seus_65.png

SD and I are back again to bring the doom and gloom for the NC folks. That storm is definitely gonna cut.
Nah no doom and gloom that's not the storm for most of us east of the apps unless the SE Canada to North Atlantic setup reshuffles. Most of our storms come in the back half of a NAO blocks life cycle when it starts moving west and the trough axis across the conus drifts east.

I'd be pumped if I lived in LA, AR, TN, Ms, NAL that setups got some legs for them

Tough being in NC and see folks further south and west get snow when we get rain. Seems we're on the border of rain and snow more often than not. You'd think being further north would help us, but guess we're a tad too far east a lot of times, especially in the Triangle. I remember Greg Fishel saying before that the air coming off the ocean inland can hurt us a lot of times when it comes to getting snow here.

Tough being in NC and see folks further south and west get snow when we get rain. Seems we're on the border of rain and snow more often than not. You'd think being further north would help us, but guess we're a tad too far east a lot of times, especially in the Triangle. I remember Greg Fishel saying before that the air coming off the ocean inland can hurt us a lot of times when it comes to getting snow here.
Great analysis as always

We are watching the entire life cycle of a -nao event unfold on the models. Unfortunately/fortunately depending on where you live that means good or bad results with individual systems but in the end it typically pays out for a good majority of us. Patience will be key

Back