• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

For better or worse, times have changed. Yes, there was some questionable moderation on the SE forum on American that many (including me) were not happy with. I came over here, where there's quite an adjustment with folks spread out more. What gives Alabama snow may not be what I'm rooting for in central NC.

As far as the moderation and atmosphere. I'm like you in that I'm here more for the education and sharing information about this hobby that I enjoy. As you alluded to, many are here for the social aspects and lighthearted fun. The same one-liners with no substance from some members that don't ever offer anything of importance definitely grates on my nerves as well as others (paging @SD). I'm usually one of the most heavy-handed when it comes to moderating and giving out warnings/bans. However, with so few people posting, I haven't worried too much about it this season so far. There's banter in every thread right now. If we get a big storm and more traffic in here, I'm sure we will moderate things more closely.

I feel like around the time this website was created, many meteorologists started really building up their followings on twitter, facebook, etc... where they have more control and have the ability to monetize their content. Just like in many other special interests and hobbies, message board websites are dying off because of social media.
Going to be honest I haven't noticed much difference. I've been on forums since winter 2011/2012 (a disaster) and that set the tone for me lol. I think amwx had more established 'veterans' that had been in the trenches for decades at that point but that's the only thing that comes to mind. I do generally think it sucks that there's two of these and would be cool to get everyone back under one nice big tent. i tried to remain exclusive (lol) to amwx for a while but there's just.... so much more people here...

One thing i'll mention is that mid-2010s twitter did choke out a lot of forum traffic- it was a special mix of students, mets, hobbyists, professors and a fun environment. but these days i think most mets have social media fatigue and are sick of being at the mercy of zuck's/elon's algorithms and being forced to post by corporate. It may be hard for places like this to expand but i don't think places like this will ever die off or go away. Will also mention that Dec. 2018 was indeed the last mega-dog and would not be surprised to see traffic light up if we got another. There's less traffic here right now for the same reason viewership was down on the weather channel during that major cane drought.

For better or worse, times have changed. Yes, there was some questionable moderation on the SE forum on American that many (including me) were not happy with. I came over here, where there's quite an adjustment with folks spread out more. What gives Alabama snow may not be what I'm rooting for in central NC.

As far as the moderation and atmosphere. I'm like you in that I'm here more for the education and sharing information about this hobby that I enjoy. As you alluded to, many are here for the social aspects and lighthearted fun. The same one-liners with no substance from some members that don't ever offer anything of importance definitely grates on my nerves as well as others (paging @SD). I'm usually one of the most heavy-handed when it comes to moderating and giving out warnings/bans. However, with so few people posting, I haven't worried too much about it this season so far. There's banter in every thread right now. If we get a big storm and more traffic in here, I'm sure we will moderate things more closely.

I feel like around the time this website was created, many meteorologists started really building up their followings on twitter, facebook, etc... where they have more control and have the ability to monetize their content. Just like in many other special interests and hobbies, message board websites are dying off because of social media.
I agree there simply isn't enough going on yet to bother with heavy handed moderation.

Do you plan on creating a storm-mode status though if we do end up tracking a decent dropper? Be good to have the experienced trackers keep we novice stoically apprised of the model reads without having to worry about all the yippee and yawner comments. I promise to behave. :)

I agree there simply isn't enough going on yet to bother with heavy handed moderation.

Do you plan on creating a storm-mode status though if we do end up tracking a decent dropper? Be good to have the experienced trackers keep we novice stoically apprised of the model reads without having to worry about all the yippee and yawner comments. I promise to behave. :)
Definitely. The storm thread would be moderated. Usually the monthly pattern discussion thread is moderated more strictly too when there's high traffic. Looks like we may be implementing that this week too.

All we needed was the severe weather to come through to set the stage for winter storms. Swinging the pendulum back from one extreme to the other to correct the course.

Back