• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I was going to say I didn't know you could get lemons this time of year in North Carolina?
Citrus fruit mature this time of year but the question is how did the plant survive the cold waves and how did the fruits mature with multiple freezes … no citrus grows in this state except for like weird hybrids or maybe one super hardy plant on the coast

Y'all were trippin' yesterday! Some of us weenies were ready to cliff dive and @Webberweather53 and @Myfrotho704_ were talking you off the ledge instead of dashing hopes and dreams ?. Colder air and a pattern that can produce is coming. Stay strong!

@Jimmy Hypocracy was also paging me to clean up a thread instead of cluttering it up himself! Have you turned over a new leaf?

Y'all were trippin' yesterday! Some of us weenies were ready to cliff dive and @Webberweather53 and @Myfrotho704_ were talking you off the ledge instead of dashing hopes and dreams ?. Colder air and a pattern that can produce is coming. Stay strong!

@Jimmy Hypocracy was also paging me to clean up a thread instead of cluttering it up himself! Have you turned over a new leaf?
He hasn't, go read most of his comments Lol j/k (kinda)

I was on AmWx all the time in college (2016-2020) and it never was quite to this level, except in an incredibly tongue-in-cheek sense. It also felt like there was even more education on how these dynamics worked. (Incredibly thankful for the education and informational posts that grit, Webb, fro, and others put on here though—not saying there isn’t high-quality educational stuff on here!)

I don’t really remember when the switch came and I moved over here. Or why. Seems like others did too. Or maybe they were posting on both?

Anyway, not trying to say anything negative about this site at all. You guys do a great job running the place and most posters seem truly like fun and good people. I just wonder what (if anything) changed. Am I just looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses?

For better or worse, times have changed. Yes, there was some questionable moderation on the SE forum on American that many (including me) were not happy with. I came over here, where there's quite an adjustment with folks spread out more. What gives Alabama snow may not be what I'm rooting for in central NC.

As far as the moderation and atmosphere. I'm like you in that I'm here more for the education and sharing information about this hobby that I enjoy. As you alluded to, many are here for the social aspects and lighthearted fun. The same one-liners with no substance from some members that don't ever offer anything of importance definitely grates on my nerves as well as others (paging @SD). I'm usually one of the most heavy-handed when it comes to moderating and giving out warnings/bans. However, with so few people posting, I haven't worried too much about it this season so far. There's banter in every thread right now. If we get a big storm and more traffic in here, I'm sure we will moderate things more closely.

I feel like around the time this website was created, many meteorologists started really building up their followings on twitter, facebook, etc... where they have more control and have the ability to monetize their content. Just like in many other special interests and hobbies, message board websites are dying off because of social media.

He got married. A new wife will do that. RIP Jimmy

For better or worse, times have changed. Yes, there was some questionable moderation on the SE forum on American that many (including me) were not happy with. I came over here, where there's quite an adjustment with folks spread out more. What gives Alabama snow may not be what I'm rooting for in central NC.

As far as the moderation and atmosphere. I'm like you in that I'm here more for the education and sharing information about this hobby that I enjoy. As you alluded to, many are here for the social aspects and lighthearted fun. The same one-liners with no substance from some members that don't ever offer anything of importance definitely grates on my nerves as well as others (paging @SD). I'm usually one of the most heavy-handed when it comes to moderating and giving out warnings/bans. However, with so few people posting, I haven't worried too much about it this season so far. There's banter in every thread right now. If we get a big storm and more traffic in here, I'm sure we will moderate things more closely.

I feel like around the time this website was created, many meteorologists started really building up their followings on twitter, facebook, etc... where they have more control and have the ability to monetize their content. Just like in many other special interests and hobbies, message board websites are dying off because of social media.
Regarding social media, there's only so much of the aspect they can use from a dedicated site for a subject before it needs a dedicated site. With the practical implosion of Twitter by Elon and the shady practices known by the giant social media companies, the stability of those platforms and their futures are uncertain. I think that's why a lot of board sites still exist today since people see some certainty they'll remain or information easily retained unlike how Twitter forced an account to view newer information, is trying to make the entire thing pay-to-use, etc.

Back