• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

That could prove messy if it verifies

I was finishing school up about 100 miles south down I-85 for that event. I never saw a rain drop, but we ended up with 4-6" with some thunder. Wasn't that from a ULL?
Yeh that was definitely a ULL. I remember it pouring for hours in Rock hill, SC in the mid to low 30s before finally changing over to heavy snow.

March 2009...First time experiencing thunder snow, literally white out conditions in Spartanburg, SC for about 20 mins. Got my truck stuck in a ditch...that was fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

March 2009...First time experiencing thunder snow, literally white out conditions in Spartanburg, SC for about 20 mins. Got my truck stuck in a ditch...that was fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
haha Columbia, SC got stuck in the infamous dry slot. They had canceled school for the next day and everything and everyone woke up to sunny skies and nothing on the ground. Lol

If anything, 00z GFS is slower with cold air anyways.

Even if the GFS wasn't suppressed, it's not cold enough outside North Carolina. It's the outlier though right now.

Not seeing anything with 0z Goofus..

But is there some other energy trying to chase on the backside at 102? Looks like something just to the east of Memphis. Any chance that it catches up to the lower latitude energy in the GOM, or does the trough shred it up?

The cmc is all in on a westward system. This is a warm look
914a0792bc4600162f83c6214970939b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The moisture is there on the 0z GFS like what the 0z NAM showed. The GFS can't depict the moisture because the GFS doesn't have a higher resolution like the NAM does. There is a moist SW flow in the upper levels, there's going to be convection in the baroclinic zone. Regardless that the moisture isn't there on the GFS, it is there. You have to look up at the upper levels closely with this particular system.

The cmc is all in on a westward system. This is a warm look
914a0792bc4600162f83c6214970939b.jpg

I guess I should say it's warmer vs 12z but not a torch plenty of snow would fall on the northwest side

Back