• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

I've seen the NAM spit out a lot of crazy stuff in my time but this may take the cake for me that's like putting a bonfire together sitting a propane tank and then a chair on it and saying your going to the moon.....

I went back and looked at the loop for the 0z NAM, (now referred to as HLS herein) and noticed that despite the big swath of what appears to be snow (or at least what most of us want to be snow here in N & Central GA), the critical thickness looks like it holds back for the duration of the precip. I'm guessing that most of what would fall would be in the form of sleet or maybe ZR if there are other warm layers below 850.

I went back and looked at the loop for the 0z NAM, (now referred to as HLS herein) and noticed that despite the big swath of what appears to be snow (or at least what most of us want to be snow here in N & Central GA), the critical thickness looks like it holds back for the duration of the precip. I'm guessing that most of what would fall would be in the form of sleet or maybe ZR if there are other warm layers below 850.
Not cold enough at the surface. Either snow sleet or rain

Think the precip gets heavy enough it doesn't matter at times.

Not cold enough at the surface. Either snow sleet or rain

Look at the soundings. It's snow. Whole column is below freezing except the 2m, which is at 33-35F.

Looks like another heartbreaker here in the central midlands of SC. Lol. Havent been hit here since Feb of 2014, we are due...

That makes more sense then. I didn't look at the sounding. But how does that explain the RA-IP-SN scenario that @Weatherlover92 posted? Shows a rain to snow transition. If I've learned anything, that seldom verifies here.
It'll start as light rain but cold air will move in rapidly at lower levels, changing it over to all snow for 90% of the main event

Trying to keep up with this live posting lol

That makes more sense then. I didn't look at the sounding. But how does that explain the RA-IP-SN scenario that @Weatherlover92 posted? Shows a rain to snow transition. If I've learned anything, that seldom verifies here.

I actually remember the March 1, 2009 event starting off similar to this. It was a light/moderate rainfall, then quickly changed over to moderate sleet and within minutes changed over to moderate/heavy snow.

I just saved the Bufkit for KFFC. That's got to be the highlight of this winter season! This is so funny...I'm saving this run for posterity.

It ain't got a snowball's chance in verifying but it just raised 2017-18 to a passing grade no matter what!

It'll start as light rain but cold air will move in rapidly at lower levels, changing it over to all snow for 90% of the main event

That could prove messy if it verifies
I actually remember the March 1, 2009 event starting off similar to this. It was a light/moderate rainfall, then quickly changed over to moderate sleet and within minutes changed over to moderate/heavy snow.

I was finishing school up about 100 miles south down I-85 for that event. I never saw a rain drop, but we ended up with 4-6" with some thunder. Wasn't that from a ULL?

Back