• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Question for Eric or Chris, I notice the models showing mixed precipitation into central Georgia, would zr or sleet be more like in those locals? Thanks

You would see sleet if anything but without much of a warm nose and concomitant cold dome underneath that to allow hydrometeors to melt then refreeze before hitting the ground this should be either a rain or snow event as would be expected w/ a Miller A cyclone.

EPS is a little less impressive thru 126 hours than the last run but still a very solid hit and signal overall. Certainly the 2nd most impressive run we've seen the past 5 days

I can't find EPS precip maps on tropical tidbits. Is this expected to continue dumping snow all the way up the coast into the N/NE? If so double good for us right?

I'm assuming that's 10:1 ratio, not taking any initial melt into consideration?

Lots of high expectations in here already, let's remember that token flakes are pretty much a win right now.

I can't find EPS precip maps on tropical tidbits. Is this expected to continue dumping snow all the way up the coast into the N/NE? If so double good for us right?
There aren't any precip maps from the EPS on tropical tidbits. Yes, I expect the snow will continue along the coast and further inland. Snowpack to the NE would benefit CAD.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

If only...
b4f25eb0cccfea3a9b62fb322601d606.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Luckily from a historical standpoint, Miller A cyclones are usually more kind to the I-95 corridor than the eastern piedmont wrt where the heaviest axis of snow is placed, but we are in a -ENSO event so I guess it's possible that this one could be US 1 centric. Who knows at this pt....
Guess who lives right off US1.

12z ECMWF sounding from Huffman. Snow sounding for RDU w/ obvious isothermal melting layer below 700 hPa
View attachment 1802

To get an isothermal melting layer this deep, the precipitation has to be falling fast and furious like it is on the Euro to allow us to change over to a heavy-very heavy wet snow or rain/snow mix as the melting layer is pushed to the ground. Light precipitation will not cut it here

Back